Summary: This is sin one in a series that deals with common sins in the church and in the lives of " Christians". It deals with clothing, movies, drinking, and gambling.
SEVEN SINS SNEAKING INTO THE SANCUTUARY
Part 1: Social Acceptances
TEXT: I Peter 4:17 “For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God…”
Appearance makes a social statement of our view of life and how we would like those around us to interact with us – tramp, loose, lack of respect
Three principles for Christian apparel
1. Modesty (1 Timothy 2:9-10 “In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.”)
--In Bible times certain styles carried connotations of worldliness
--Realize men are tempted by visual images
--Do not wear revealing or tight clothing
2. Gender (Deuteronomy 22:5 “The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman’s garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.”)
--Why is a separation of men’s and women’s clothing important in the scripture?
--Pagan worship -- heathen men wore the attire of a woman and committed whoredom in the temple; women did the same.
What does this scripture teach?
Deception is a sin
Should be a distinction between the two genders
3. Appropriateness at church (Exodus 3:5 “And he said, Draw not nigh hither: put off thy shoes from off thy feet, for the place whereon thou standest is holy ground.”)
Bible days = respect shown by taking of shoes
Rules for clothing in church
Rule 1: Appropriate cloths should be worn
Rule 2: Clothing should convey an attitude of respect and admiration for God
Psalms 101:3 “I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me.”
Problem: What you see influences you and becomes a permenant part of you.
Ephesians 5:18 "Be not drunk with wine, wherein in excess, but be filled with the Spirit."
“We’ll they drank wine in the Bible”
--Wine in the Bible was not unfermented grape juice
--The wine that Jesus drank was fermented
Two kinds of wine consumption in the Bible
--Diluted (for water purification) anywhere form 10:1 to 20:1
--Example: 2 beers equal to 22 glasses of diluted if mixed 3:1
--Impossible to get intoxicated on water diluted for purification purposes.
--Proverbs 20:1 “Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whoever is deceived thereby is not wise.”
Isaiah 65:11-12 “But ye are they that forsake the LORD, that forget my holy mountain, that prepare a table for that troop (good luck fortune), and that furnish the drink offering unto that number (bad luck destiny). 12Therefore will I number you to the sword, and ye shall all bow down to the slaughter: because when I called, ye did not answer; when I spake, ye did not hear; but did evil before mine eyes, and did choose that wherein I delighted not.”
Define: it is an activity in which a person risks something of value to forces of chance completely beyond his or her control, in hope of winning something of greater value.
Fourteen Sins associated with Gambling
1. It drains the economic provision that God makes for people
2. It is immoral because it erodes the Biblical work ethic
3. It is immoral, also, because it promotes irrationality
4. It is immoral because it preys on the weak and the vulnerable, mostly elderly
5. It is immoral because it attracts the undisciplined and pushes them deeper and deeper into difficulty.
6. Gambling is built on the sin of materialism
7. It is built on the sin of greed
8. Gambling is built on the sin discontent
9. It is built on the sin of exploitation
10. It is built in the sin of lust
11. It is built on the sin of distrusting God
12. Gambling is built on the sin of irresponsible stewardship
13. It is built on the sin of not providing for family
14. It’s built on the sin of not loving your neighbor
Numbers 32:23 "Be sure your sin will find you out."
James 4:7-10 “7Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. 8Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded. 9Be afflicted, and mourn, and weep: let your laughter be turned to mourning, and your joy to heaviness. 10Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.