Summary: The "when, where, and how" of receiving Christ was and is available to the least as well as the greatest of men.
A SHEPHERD’S SALVATION
I. The Situation
A. They were shepherds
1. They smelled like the animals (maybe goats).
2. They tended the sheep for temple sacrifice.
B. They were ceremonially unclean
1. They were necessary for religion.
2. They were neglected by the religious.
C. They were in the dark
1. There was the darkness of the hour (night).
2. There was the darkness of their soul (doomed).
II. The Salutation
1. Not during a temple service (would interrupt the order of worship).
2. Not at a high level religious meeting (would have required faith and not logic).
3. It happened at the time when an unknown Savior was being born.
1. Not in the city (they were to busy).
2. Not at the temple (they were to egotistical).
3. It happened in a place where sacrificial lambs were born.
1. Not by the "high priest."
2. But by the "angel of the Lord" (A heavenly voice of authority).
3. With the "glory of the Lord" (to lighten and enlighten).
III. The Salvation
A. "Fear not!" (We do not have to fear death or desertion by God)
B. "I bring you good tidings of great joy" (the good news is for all)
C. "Unto you is born this day . . . a Savior" (a Savior of the least and the greatest)
D. "In the city of David" (God tells us where to meet the Savior- at the cross)
E. "This shall be a sign" (He tells us how we will know: - joy of Holy Spirit in our heart; forgiveness of sin; new life; new priorities)
God spoke a "good tidings message" to the shepherds through the angel. The offer was there but the next step was up to the shepherds.
God speaks a "salvation message" to us by the Holy Spirit (maybe be speaking to you now). The next step is up to us.
15 And it came to pass, as the angels were gone away from them into heaven, the shepherds said one to another, Let us now go even unto Bethlehem, and see this thing which is come to pass, which the Lord hath made known unto us.
(They made a choice - they obeyed the invitation of God)
16 And they came with haste, and found Mary, and Joseph, and the babe lying in a manger.
(They found exactly what God had promised)
17 And when they had seen it, they made known abroad the saying which was told them concerning this child.
(They gave testimony to the truth)
18 And all they that heard it wondered at those things which were told them by the shepherds.
(The lowly shepherds made an impact on others - uneducated, unaccepted, unclean, but gloriously unashamed of the events in their lives)
19 But Mary kept all these things, and pondered them in her heart.
20 And the shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all the things that they had heard and seen, as it was told unto them.
(They praised God for His blessing upon the unworthy)
We are none worthy, but we are all welcome to celebrate and accept the Savior.