Summary: And, like the ancient Roman soldiers who were slain in battle, and carried off the field on their shields, the shield of faith will carry you home to glory and bring you into the presence of the Lord!
Pastor Allan Kircher
Shell Point Baptist Church
May 25, 2014
THE SHIELD OF FAITH
Continuing to examine the various pieces that constitute “the whole armor of God.”
• Taking my time/preaching/each piece/armor
Coming/day/each/our lives/know “the whole armor of God”
• How to use it in our lives/vitally important our spiritual lives.
Engaged/great cosmic battle against a powerful, relentless enemy.
God desires we be able to “stand” against the attacks/enemy
To “stand” means “to hold a critical position during a time of enemy attack.”
The Belt Of Truth speaks:
• Life/built upon faithfulness/Word of God
• Truth in both our testimony and in our living.
• Gives/believer stability so they are enabled to stand
• Provides a place/other pieces/armor to rest.
• Unless our lives rooted in, and lived out in truth
• We will not be able “to stand in the evil day.”
Breastplate Of Righteousness speaks
• Holy life/lived in conformity/Word of God.
• When we allow sin to dwell in our lives
• We give Satan “beachhead” which he can attack/exploit us
• Personal holiness closes the door to Satan
• It protects us from him when he attacks us.
Boots Of Peace speaks about our foundation in Jesus.
When our “feet are shod/preparation of the Gospel of peace
• Means we saved by grace/we know it.
• Nothing can change our minds.
• Satan may try and cause us to doubt
• We are sure/secure in our salvation/we cannot be moved.
next piece of armor/study/shield Of Faith. The Bible says, “In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one.”
Let’s see why/piece/armor/important/Lord would say/we are to have it “above all.”
I. HOW THE SHIELD OF FAITH IS DESIGNED
• “Shields”/very important/Roman soldier
• Several kinds/shields in use by/Romans during/time period.
One/small, round shield/secured/soldier’s arm/two leather straps
• Used/parry the thrusts/enemy blade/hand-to-hand combat. This small, lightweight shield not one referred to here.
• Word used/“thureos.” Comes/word “thura,”means door.
• Thus, the “thureos” was a large, door shaped shield.
• shields 4.5 X 2.5/Designed/cover/entire body/soldier
• Possible/men 1st century much smaller men today.
• Made of a solid piece of wood
• Covered/metal/heavy oiled leather
• Man/put/entire body behind
Arrow would snuff out as it buried itself/thickness/shield.
Shield one/most important pieces/armor possessed Roman soldier.
When Roman soldiers went into battle, those carrying the larger shields marched/vanguard/army