Summary: And, like the ancient Roman soldiers who were slain in battle, and carried off the field on their shields, the shield of faith will carry you home to glory and bring you into the presence of the Lord!
Pastor Allan Kircher
Shell Point Baptist Church
May 25, 2014
THE SHIELD OF FAITH
Continuing to examine the various pieces that constitute “the whole armor of God.”
• Taking my time/preaching/each piece/armor
Coming/day/each/our lives/know “the whole armor of God”
• How to use it in our lives/vitally important our spiritual lives.
Engaged/great cosmic battle against a powerful, relentless enemy.
God desires we be able to “stand” against the attacks/enemy
To “stand” means “to hold a critical position during a time of enemy attack.”
The Belt Of Truth speaks:
• Life/built upon faithfulness/Word of God
• Truth in both our testimony and in our living.
• Gives/believer stability so they are enabled to stand
• Provides a place/other pieces/armor to rest.
• Unless our lives rooted in, and lived out in truth
• We will not be able “to stand in the evil day.”
Breastplate Of Righteousness speaks
• Holy life/lived in conformity/Word of God.
• When we allow sin to dwell in our lives
• We give Satan “beachhead” which he can attack/exploit us
• Personal holiness closes the door to Satan
• It protects us from him when he attacks us.
Boots Of Peace speaks about our foundation in Jesus.
When our “feet are shod/preparation of the Gospel of peace
• Means we saved by grace/we know it.
• Nothing can change our minds.
• Satan may try and cause us to doubt
• We are sure/secure in our salvation/we cannot be moved.
next piece of armor/study/shield Of Faith. The Bible says, “In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one.”
Let’s see why/piece/armor/important/Lord would say/we are to have it “above all.”
I. HOW THE SHIELD OF FAITH IS DESIGNED
• “Shields”/very important/Roman soldier
• Several kinds/shields in use by/Romans during/time period.
One/small, round shield/secured/soldier’s arm/two leather straps
• Used/parry the thrusts/enemy blade/hand-to-hand combat. This small, lightweight shield not one referred to here.
• Word used/“thureos.” Comes/word “thura,”means door.
• Thus, the “thureos” was a large, door shaped shield.
• shields 4.5 X 2.5/Designed/cover/entire body/soldier
• Possible/men 1st century much smaller men today.
• Made of a solid piece of wood
• Covered/metal/heavy oiled leather
• Man/put/entire body behind
Arrow would snuff out as it buried itself/thickness/shield.
Shield one/most important pieces/armor possessed Roman soldier.
When Roman soldiers went into battle, those carrying the larger shields marched/vanguard/army
• marched side by side with their shield’s together
• Romans called this a “phalanx.”
Romans faced their enemies/ranks of soldiers which followed the first rank would raise their shields over their heads.
• They/butt their shields against those of the first rank.
• With/shields/first rank soldiers held side by side
• following rows holding their shields over their heads
• Romans presented their enemies/impenetrable barrier.
Arrows/swords/spears were useless against/Roman phalanx
• fall harmlessly to the ground
• Romans phalanx was as much as a mile wide.
II. HOW THE SHIELD OF FAITH DESCRIBED
• Told here that believers need a shield
• shield we need is not/one/iron/leather/not/manmade shield
• We are told to have is called a “shield of faith.”
“Faith” Paul refers to here is not “body of Christian belief.”
• Not referring to the doctrines we believe.
• Referring to simple “faith” in God.
• “faith” refers/belief /Jesus Christ/brings salvation
• also speaks our daily faith/Jesus leads to blessing
• Daily provision, and strength for the journey.
• This kind of “faith” is simple faith in Jesus.
Simple trust in the Lord that saves us, grounds us, strengthens us, calms us, grows us, establishes us, etc.
Faith/necessary, non-negotiable component/Christian life.
• We can’t be saved apart from faith in God.
• Eph. 2:8–9….
• Our entire Christian life is built upon/sustained by
• a consistent believing God
• And He blesses those who place their faith in Him.
“And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.” Heb. 11:6.
We all live by some form of faith every day we live.
• Cross bridges/believe they will support us
• Go through tunnels believing they will not collapse.
• We trust automobiles/airplanes/ships/believing they/safe Our faith in those things is well founded
• They have proven themselves over and over.
Faith in Jesus is far and above the everyday faith we practice when we climb into our car and head down the road, or when we drive over a bridge.
Our faith is only as good as the object of that faith.
• When our faith in Jesus Christ
• our faith/Someone Who cannot fail
• faith/Christian has power
• Object of our faith is all-powerful.