Summary: 2 valiant women stood up to the most powerful king, chose to obey God rather than men, and were dream-birthers, possibly bringing to birth the deliverer of all God's people!
SHIPHRAH & PUAH
Ex. 1:8-22 (omit 14 & 20)
A. HUMOR: The convert
1. A stereo-type of Jews is that they only think about money.
2. Two Jews -- Abe and Shlomo -- were strolling down the street one day when they happened to walk by a Catholic Church. It had a big sign posted that says: - ‘CONVERT TO CATHOLICISM AND GET $100.’
3. Abe stopped walking and stared at the sign. Shlomo turned to him and said, “Abe, what’s going on?”
4. “Shlomo,” replied Abe, “I’m thinking of doing it.” Shlomo said, “What, are you crazy?” Abe thought for a minute and said, “Shlomo, I’m GOING to do it!”
5. With that, Abe strode purposely into the church and came out 20 minutes later with his head bowed.
6. “So,” asked Shlomo, “Did you get your $100?” Abe looks up at him and said, “Is money all YOU PEOPLE think about?” [from a Jewish website].
8 Then a new king, who did not know about Joseph, came to power in Egypt. 9 “Look,” he said to his people, “the Israelites have become far too numerous for us. 10…if war breaks out [they] will join our enemies, fight against us and leave the country.” 11 So they put slave masters over them to oppress them with forced labor, and they built Pithom and Rameses as store cities for Pharaoh. 12 But the more they were oppressed, the more they multiplied and spread; so the Egyptians came to dread the Israelites 13 and worked them ruthlessly. 15 The king of Egypt said to the Hebrew midwives, whose names were Shiphrah and Puah, 16 “When you are helping the Hebrew women during childbirth on the delivery stool, if you see that the baby is a boy, kill him; but if it is a girl, let her live.” 17 The midwives, however, feared God and did not do what the king of Egypt had told them to do; they let the boys live. 18 Then the king of Egypt summoned the midwives and asked them, “Why have you done this? Why have you let the boys live?” 19 The midwives answered Pharaoh, “Hebrew women are not like Egyptian women; they are vigorous and give birth before the midwives arrive.” 21 And because the midwives feared God, he gave them families of their own. 22 Then Pharaoh gave this order to all his people: “Every Hebrew boy that is born you must throw into the Nile, but let every girl live.”
1. Today, we’re looking at two valiant women of faith who stood up to the pressure of their culture.
2. In this passage we see The World’s Program for the Church, Valiant Faith Conquering, and God’s Boomerang.
3. The title of today’s message is, “Shiphrah & Puah.”
I. WORLD’S PROGRAM FOR THE CHURCH
A. POSITIVE EFFECTS OF GOD FORGOTTEN
1. "Then a new King, who did not know about Joseph, came to power in Egypt" (8). Joseph had saved all Egypt from famine and built the power/ authority of the Egyptian government, but was now forgotten.