Summary: A questioning mind is a thinking mind, and God wants our minds to actively pursue His truth. So let’s answer three common questions of many.
Short Answers to Common Questions 1
1. PUEBLO, Colo., April 7 (UPI) -- A serial cheese thief returned to a Colorado pizza shop to steal thousands of dollars worth of provolone cheese.
Kevin Romero, a manager [said], "The first time they came in they stole about probably five or six boxes," he said. "The second time was eight to ten boxes, and now the 19 boxes. I don't get it. There must be some black market for cheese that I don't know about."
2. I can understand a lot of crime … it is wrong, but makes sense. But what can you do with lots and lots of cheese… unless maybe you run a competing business? Some questions do not have easy answers.
3. We are, by nature, curious beings. And most of the time, that curiosity serves us well. Still, we all live with many unanswered questions. But many questions have answers. This is true when it comes to understanding God’s Word or how God wants us to view life and the issues of life.
4. Today I am going to begin a brief series answering a few common questions. In 2011, I dealt with a big questions, “Why does a good all powerful God allow evil and disaster?’ But the type of questions in this series do not require as much detail in their answer.
Main Idea: A questioning mind is a thinking mind, and God wants our minds to actively pursue His truth. So let’s answer three common questions of many.
I. Where Did Cain Get His WIFE?
In ancient times, there was no Christian Mingle or eHarmony. But were there even women for men to marry? How did this work.
A. The setting: Cain kills Abel and then Seth born.
B. Where did ANY of these men get their wives?
C. Genesis 5:4 gives us the ANSWER.
D. Up until the TORAH was given, it was not forbidden to marry family.
1. Genetic DECAY took time to work down from the curse.
2. Abraham and Sarah were HALF siblings.
From the time of Moses on, marrying close relatives FORBIDDEN. (Lev. 18:8-10)
II. Are All Sins ALIKE to God?
Sin is so much a part of everyday life and can become second nature. Take lying. One gal writes “Today, my car went missing. My sister constantly asks to borrow it, so I called her and asked if she had it. She said she didn't, so I called the police and reported it stolen. They soon caught her driving the stolen vehicle. She blames me and is now telling everyone I set her up to be arrested.” [altered]
A. As far as relating to God on the basis of LAW, yes.
James 2:10, “For whoever keeps the whole law but fails in one point has become accountable for all of it.”
B. As far as incurring God’s wrath, all sins are NOT alike.
• Exodus 32:21, "What did these people do to you, that you led them into such great sin?" Notice that the sin of idolatry was called "such a GREAT sin."
• Matthew 12:31, “Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven people, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven.”
• Numbers 15:30-31, "But anyone who sins defiantly, whether native-born or alien, blasphemes the LORD, and that person must be cut off from his people…”
C. God drove out the Canaanites because they were greater sinners than the Israelites, who were LESSER sinners.
Deuteronomy 9:4b-5a reads, "... No, it is on account of the wickedness of these nations that the LORD is going to drive them out before you. It is not because of your righteousness or your integrity that you are going in to take possession of their land; but on account of the wickedness of these nations..."
D. Some sins merit church DISCIPLINE; others do not (see I Cor. 5:9-13).
E. Some sins DISQUALIFY one from leadership (I Timothy 3:1-12).
III. Don’t We All Worship the SAME God?
Wheaton College professor Larycia Hawkins, who wore a hijab to show solidarity with Muslims. She claimed that Muslims and Christians worship the same God. She cannot be more incorrect.
A. Our belief in only ONE GOD is common to Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.
B. But the God of the Bible DIFFERS from these other “one god” views.
1. Our God is TRIUNE
2. Our God is YAHWEH
3. Our God is the FATHER of Jesus Christ
C. Even as Christians, we need to PERFECT our view of Who God is by studying His Word more DEEPLY and experiencing Him more CONSISTENTLY.
1. The one true God is described in the Bible. He does not change.
2. We live in a day when a world view called “Postmodernism” is the trend.