Summary: Part of learning is coming up with the questions, and part of learning is finding the best available answer, while always looking to hone our understanding. We also need to remember that no answer is better than a wrong answers.
Short Answers to Common Questions 6
1. A man has had enough. He blurts out to his wife, “I have been patient, but your mom has been living with us for seven years. Don’t you think it’s time she gets a place of her own?”
“My mom?” the wife replied. “I thought she was your mom!”
2. That’s what happens when we don’t ask questions!
Main Idea: Some questions we have to live with as unanswered. Many questions, however, have answers. Part of learning is coming up with the questions, and part of learning is finding the best available answer, while always looking to hone our understanding. We also need to remember that no answer is better than a wrong answers. We should not necessarily gravitate to the most available answer.
I. What does it mean to turn the other CHEEK?
Matthew 5:39b-41, “But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if anyone would sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. And if anyone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles.”
A. Jesus is using a Rabbinic method of teaching called HOT and COLD.
B. Note the MODERATION involved (one time)
C. Same concept as walking the extra MILE
D. Taking INSULT in moderation
E. Being gracious rather than exacting: giving people SPACE to err
1. This is the opposite of being exacting, stingy, demanding of rights, entitled.
2. a skill you really need when rearing children, esp. teens
3. rather than demanding what is technically yours, you are more concerned about maintaining a good relationship, even if it means a modest loss.
II. Is the United States in Bible PROPHECY?
Ethnocentric (m-w.com), “having or based on the idea that your own group or culture is better or more important than others…”
God has used America to send missionaries, be a have for the Jews, etc. Not center.
A. NO, although some have connected it to Babylon or Israel
1. Not SIGNIFICANT during the end times
2. Part of the Antichrist’s WESTERN confederacy
3. May not EXIST in the end times
4. Perhaps America is included with all the other UNGODLY nations (Revelation 10:11; 11:18; 12:5; 14:8; 15:4; 16:19).
5. Perhaps none of the ABOVE
Application: We are living at a time when America is changing quickly, but the foundation for these changes goes back to the 1960’s and even earlier. We have crossed a threshold, and American Christians are being forced to determine which allegiance is their primary allegiance: Is it God and country, or country and God?
III. Why don’t we have Apostles TODAY?
Some people think the epistles are the wives of the apostles! Epistle = letter,.
A. The term is used in 2 ways: sent ones (like missionaries) and the foundation layers of the CHURCH.
B. The CRITERIA for foundation-laying Apostles
3. Must have WITNESSED Jesus resurrected (Acts 1:22; 1 Cor. 9:1)
Ephesians 2:19-20, “So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus himself being the cornerstone,
Hebrews 2:3-4, “…how shall we escape if we neglect such a great salvation? It was declared at first by the Lord, and it was attested to us by those who heard, while God also bore witness by signs and wonders and various miracles and by gifts of the Holy Spirit distributed according to his will.”
• There are always a number of people who claim to have all the authority of the foundation – laying apostles. But they do not meet the above criteria.
• You lay a foundation only once, then you build upon it.
• Jesus is the cornerstone, the apostles the rest of foundation, we stones/bricks
• I Peter 2:5. “you yourselves like living stones are being built up as a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.”
• We believe in following the teachings of the apostles, and those teachings are only accurately and dependably present in the New Testament.
Application: God has spoken through his apostles and prophets. But his Word does little good if you do not read, contemplate, and implement it!