Summary: Should we be concerned about people who are merciless? The sermon addresses that question.
“Should I Be Concerned about Nineveh?” Jonah 3:1-5, 10
1. Jonah is told by God "TO GO" Go to the city of Nineveh
• Go Preach against it because of its wickedness. They had humiliated and crushed the Israelites, then stripped them of their culture and their land. Surely God would never forgive them! Surely God could not love them! They had terrorized God's precious chosen people.
• (Its wickedness was really bad like the German concentration camps during WW11)
• They don’t deserve mercy or grace. Not those Heathens Infidels, Jonah says, Should I Go?
2. Jonah chooses (Not To Go) Jonah was perfectly happy to preach hellfire and damnation to the people of Nineveh but Jonah also knew God. Jonah thought Should I Go? Well I know Gods mercy
• But Jonah ran (GOES) away from the LORD and headed for Tar shish why? Those Assyrians do not deserve grace.
• Jonah goes to Joppa boards a ship going the opposite direction of Nineveh
3. Jonah Sleeps during a Storm that has risen. Jonah is simply unconcerned
• 4Then the LORD sent a great wind on the sea, and such a violent storm arose that the ship threatened to break up.
• Notice Jonah has no cares nor concerns he is sleeping: Jonah went below deck, laid down went to sleep a deep sleep. 6The captain went to him and said, "How can you sleep? Get up and call on your god!
• The men on the ship were concerned but not Jonah he is unconcerned
• Detrick Bonoffer could have relaxed in America but he had too much concern for the Confessing Church so he returned to Germany to suffer and fight with the people there. He was arrested and hung for his plans to take the life of Adolf Hitler.
4. Jonah is thrown overboard swallowed by a Big Fish and is given another chance after he Prays
• Jonah is in the Pit of Misery Dillly Dilly "In my distress I called to the LORD, 5The engulfing waters threatened me,B the deep surrounded me; seaweed was wrapped around my head. 6To the roots of the mountains I sank down; the earth beneath barred me in forever. my life was ebbing away,
• When Jonah prayed Forgiveness was present 10 the LORD told the fish, to vomit Jonah onto dry land.
5. Jonah learns God is a God of Second Chances I think Jonah already knew it. But he did not like it
• 10When God saw what they did and how they turned from their evil ways, he had compassion and did not bring upon them the destruction he had threatened
• Then the word of the LORD came to Jonah a second time: 2"Go to the great city of Nineveh and proclaim
• Jonah Preaches to the Ninevites 8 Word Sermon Wow! He proclaimed: "Forty more days and Nineveh will be overturned." 5The Ninevites believed God. They declared a fast, all of them put on sackcloth.10When God saw they had turned from their evil ways, he had compassion and He stop judgment
6. Should I be like Jonah or Should I not be concerned? Jonah's story ends with a question. God tosses one to Jonah, and we never hear the answer: (4:11)."And should I not be concerned about Nineveh, that great city in which there are more than a hundred and twenty thousand persons who do not know their right hand from their left, and also many animals?"
• Jonah found joy seeing his enemies’ misfortune or judgment
• Jonah sees the Assyrians as those who engage in hate crimes, hate groups, hate clubs,,
• Jonah reminds us that hate also takes shape in souls that are of the faith Souls like ours.
• God is willing to forgive Jonah’s those who feel Nineveh deserves any torment given
• God is willing to forgive a City of Heathens and infidels
• Nineveh is the Broken and helpless people, Nineveh is the Druggy, the vilest offender
• Nineveh is the Man and woman who chained their children and starved them David Allen Turpin, 57, and Louise Anna Turpin, 49, were arrested on suspicion of torture and child endangerment,
• Nineveh is SS Nazi Hatreds
• Nineveh is people who do not belong to God or do not belong to Gods mercy
• Nineveh is Larry Nassar who inflicted sexual abuse on over 100 gymnasts
• God is willing to Forgive Nineveh, Jonah, and willing to forgive Us.