Summary: We need to be careful because our enemy, the devil, wants to destroy our lives. God’s Word gives us some keys to shut the door, and keep the devil out of our lives.
SHUT THE DOOR, KEEP OUT THE DEVIL
A Believer’s Practical Guide to Spiritual Warfare
“Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour.” (1 Peter 5:8).
THE BIG IDEA: We need to be careful because our enemy, the devil, wants to destroy our lives. God’s Word gives us some keys to shut the door, and keep the devil out of our lives.
WHAT IS AN ANGEL?
• NT Greek name “angelos” = messenger
• Angels are not cute little naked babies with wings, they are mighty warriors.
• Angels are spirits created by God; people don’t turn into angels when they die (Ps. 148).
• Last year, I did a two part series of teaching on angels and demons – I won’t repeat all of that here. Check out “The Invisible Realm” online or get the CD for more info.
10 SPECIFIC FUNCTIONS OF ANGELIC MINISTRY:
1. Angels bring GOD’S WORD (message). (Matt. 1:20; 2:13,19; Luke 1:19,26-27).
2. Angels release REVELATION, dreams, and understanding. (Dan. 8:15-19; Rev. 1:1).
3. Angels give GUIDANCE and DIRECTION. (Acts 8:26; Gen. 24:7).
4. Angels bring DELIVERANCE. (See Is. 37:36; 2 Kings 19:35).
5. Angels provide PROTECTION. They protect believers. (Mt. 18:10; Ps. 34:7; 91:11).
6. Angels impart STRENGTH. (Matt. 4:11; Luke 22:42; Dan. 10:16).
7. Angels release God’s HEALING. (John chapter 5).
8. Angels minister to God through PRAISE AND WORSHIP. (Luke 2:14; Rev. 5:11-12).
9. Angels conduct WAR. (Gen. 32:1-2; Dan. 10:13; Rev. 12:7).
10. Angels release God’s JUDGMENTS. (Gen. 19:11; Ex. 12:21-23; Rev. 16:17).
WHO IS THE DEVIL?
• Some people don’t believe in the devil, and have believed one of his greatest lies.
• If you don’t believe the devil exists, you’re not going to stand against his attacks!
• “So the great dragon was cast out, that serpent of old, called the Devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was cast to the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.” (Revelation 12:9).
• Rev. 12:4 tells us Lucifer took 1/3 of the angels in his rebellion. (Fallen angels = demons)
• The devil is the one who introduced sin into the world in the Garden of Eden when he tempted Adam and Eve to disobey God. They thereby handed over dominion of the world (which was theirs) to the devil (see Gen. 1-3).
JESUS CAME TO DEFEAT THE DEVIL:
“For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil.” (1 John 3:8).
“how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power, who went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with Him.” (Acts 10:38).
• As Jesus extended the kingdom of God, He was invading enemy territory.
JESUS GAVE HIS DISCIPLES AUTHORITY OVER THE DEVIL:
“Then He called His twelve disciples together and gave them power and authority over all demons, and to cure diseases. He sent them to preach the kingdom of God and to heal the sick.” (Luke 9:1-2).