Summary: We need to be careful because our enemy, the devil, wants to destroy our lives. God’s Word gives us some keys to shut the door, and keep the devil out of our lives.
SHUT THE DOOR, KEEP OUT THE DEVIL
A Believer’s Practical Guide to Spiritual Warfare
“Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour.” (1 Peter 5:8).
THE BIG IDEA: We need to be careful because our enemy, the devil, wants to destroy our lives. God’s Word gives us some keys to shut the door, and keep the devil out of our lives.
WHAT IS AN ANGEL?
• NT Greek name “angelos” = messenger
• Angels are not cute little naked babies with wings, they are mighty warriors.
• Angels are spirits created by God; people don’t turn into angels when they die (Ps. 148).
• Last year, I did a two part series of teaching on angels and demons – I won’t repeat all of that here. Check out “The Invisible Realm” online or get the CD for more info.
10 SPECIFIC FUNCTIONS OF ANGELIC MINISTRY:
1. Angels bring GOD’S WORD (message). (Matt. 1:20; 2:13,19; Luke 1:19,26-27).
2. Angels release REVELATION, dreams, and understanding. (Dan. 8:15-19; Rev. 1:1).
3. Angels give GUIDANCE and DIRECTION. (Acts 8:26; Gen. 24:7).
4. Angels bring DELIVERANCE. (See Is. 37:36; 2 Kings 19:35).
5. Angels provide PROTECTION. They protect believers. (Mt. 18:10; Ps. 34:7; 91:11).
6. Angels impart STRENGTH. (Matt. 4:11; Luke 22:42; Dan. 10:16).
7. Angels release God’s HEALING. (John chapter 5).
8. Angels minister to God through PRAISE AND WORSHIP. (Luke 2:14; Rev. 5:11-12).
9. Angels conduct WAR. (Gen. 32:1-2; Dan. 10:13; Rev. 12:7).
10. Angels release God’s JUDGMENTS. (Gen. 19:11; Ex. 12:21-23; Rev. 16:17).
WHO IS THE DEVIL?
• Some people don’t believe in the devil, and have believed one of his greatest lies.
• If you don’t believe the devil exists, you’re not going to stand against his attacks!
• “So the great dragon was cast out, that serpent of old, called the Devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was cast to the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.” (Revelation 12:9).
• Rev. 12:4 tells us Lucifer took 1/3 of the angels in his rebellion. (Fallen angels = demons)
• The devil is the one who introduced sin into the world in the Garden of Eden when he tempted Adam and Eve to disobey God. They thereby handed over dominion of the world (which was theirs) to the devil (see Gen. 1-3).
JESUS CAME TO DEFEAT THE DEVIL:
“For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil.” (1 John 3:8).
“how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power, who went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with Him.” (Acts 10:38).
• As Jesus extended the kingdom of God, He was invading enemy territory.
JESUS GAVE HIS DISCIPLES AUTHORITY OVER THE DEVIL:
“Then He called His twelve disciples together and gave them power and authority over all demons, and to cure diseases. He sent them to preach the kingdom of God and to heal the sick.” (Luke 9:1-2).
• Jesus sent His disciples out with power and authority over all demonic powers.
“Then the seventy returned with joy, saying, "Lord, even the demons are subject to us in Your name." And He said to them, "I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven. Behold, I give you the authority to trample on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall by any means hurt you. Nevertheless do not rejoice in this, that the spirits are subject to you, but rather rejoice because your names are written in heaven.” (Luke 10:17-20).
• Even though Jesus gave His disciples authority over demons, he reminded them to keep their priorities and focus in the right place – our relationship with God.
• STORY: When I first started attending church in 1990, the church was in the midst of a spiritual warfare fad where every problem was a demon. i.e. a toaster demon, etc!
BIBLE STORY #1: PAUL & SILAS DEAL WITH A DEMON:
“16 Now it happened, as we went to prayer, that a certain slave girl possessed with a spirit of divination met us, who brought her masters much profit by fortune-telling. 17 This girl followed Paul and us, and cried out, saying, "These men are the servants of the Most High God, who proclaim to us the way of salvation." 18 And this she did for many days. But Paul, greatly annoyed, turned and said to the spirit, "I command you in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her." And he came out that very hour. 19 But when her masters saw that their hope of profit was gone, they seized Paul and Silas and dragged them into the marketplace to the authorities.” (Acts 16:16-19).