Summary: Jesus never promised us a life without storms. However, He did promise to be our peace in the midst of those storms.
SIGNS AND WONDERS #4: JESUS IS THE PRINCE OF PEACE
INTRO TO TOPIC:
In Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet, Juliet utters the well-known phrase: “What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.” Here Shakespeare implies that the names of things do not matter; only what things are. However, the truth is that you can learn a lot about a person from their names and titles.
• Example: There are over 365 names and titles of God in the Bible, and each one teaches us something about His nature. Take for example what we believe about Jesus in the Foursquare Gospel:
• Jesus is our Saviour (He died on the Cross to save us from our sins)
• Jesus is our Healer (He paid the price for our sicknesses to be healed)
• Jesus is our Baptizer with the Holy Spirit (He will give us power to be His witnesses)
• Jesus is our Soon Coming King (He is King, and will return to the Earth one day soon).
“For unto us a Child is born, Unto us a Son is given; And the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.” (Isaiah 9:6).
What is peace? John 16:33: Greek Eirene = inner peace, peace with people, peace with God.
Inner peace - the tranquil state of a soul
Peace with people - harmony between individuals; national tranquility; exemption from war
Peace with God - the way that leads to peace (salvation)
BIBLE STORY: JESUS IS THE PRINCE OF PEACE: (John 6:15-21)
“15 Therefore when Jesus perceived that they were about to come and take Him by force to make Him king, He departed again to the mountain by Himself alone. 16 Now when evening came, His disciples went down to the sea, 17 got into the boat, and went over the sea toward Capernaum. And it was already dark, and Jesus had not come to them. 18 Then the sea arose because a great wind was blowing. 19 So when they had rowed about three or four miles, they saw Jesus walking on the sea and drawing near the boat; and they were afraid. 20 But He said to them, "It is I; do not be afraid." 21 Then they willingly received Him into the boat, and immediately the boat was at the land where they were going.”
I. STORMS ARE INEVITABLE:
• v. 18: Then the sea arose because a great wind was blowing.
• “These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have PEACE. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33).
o We need to realize that storms will come – they are inevitable!
o However, Jesus wants to give us peace in those storms.
• What storm are you facing in your life?
o Relationship storm? (no peace in your relationships).
o Financial storm? Health storm? Emotional storm (no inner peace)?
o Whatever your storm, don’t forget who’s in the boat with you – Jesus!
• Peter wrote: “Beloved, do not think it strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened to you.” (1 Peter 4:12).