Summary: Jesus gives 49 identifiable signs of the coming of the end
SIGNS FOR THE SAINTS
Jesus gives 49 identifiable signs of the coming of the end
The purpose of this message is restoration: to restore anticipation and awareness in the Followers of Yeshua Mashiach, of those warning signs our Lord provides.
In the last week of Jesus’ ministry before His death and resurrection, He walked east from the Temple Mount in Jerusalem with His disciples (Peter, James, John, and Andrew – Mark 13:3), across the Kidron Valley and up the Mount of Olives overlooking the Eastern side of Jerusalem. As He pointed to the Temple, He said that one day “Not one of those stones will be standing on another.” To which the disciples asked, “(1) When will this happen, (2) what will be the sign of your coming, and (3) what will be the sign of the end of the age?” Jesus then gave 49 signs in all, 27 signs in Matt. 24 that we followers of Jesus are to look for. Mark 13 and Luke 21 repeat much of the same teaching and report additional signs. Jesus said when you these signs come to pass, then the end will come shortly (Matt. 24:14):
Matthew 24 signs:
1. The temple will be totally destroyed
2. Many will come in my name.
3. Many will say “I am the Christ”.
4. Many will deceive many.
5. You will hear of many wars
6. There will be rumors of wars
7. These things must happen before the end.
8. Nation will rise up against nation.
9. Kingdoms will rise up against kingdoms
10. There will be famines
11. There will be earthquakes
12. Followers of Jesus will be persecuted
13. Followers of Jesus will be put to death
14. Followers of Jesus will be hated by all nations because of Jesus
15. In the last days many will turn from the faith
16. Many will betray and hate each other.
17. Many false prophets will appear
18. Many false prophets will deceive many people
19. Wickedness will increase
20. The love (presumably the love of Christ and His church) of most will grow cold
21. The gospel of the Kingdom will be preached all over the world.
22. You will see the abomination that causes desolation standing in the holy place
23. There will be great distress like nothing before
24. Many will say, “Here is the Christ” or “There is the Christ” (setting dates and places).
25. There will be those false prophets and false messiahs that will produce signs and wonders that may deceive the very elect of Christians
26. In those last days, the sun will be darkened and the moon will not give its light
27. The generation that lives at the “end of times” will not pass away before all these things come to pass
Mark 13 signs:
28. You will stand before governors and kings as my witnesses.
29. You will be arrested and brought to trial on account of me and I will give you words to say
30. You will see the abomination that causes desolation standing where it does not belong
Luke 21 signs:
31. You will hear of revolutions and wars
32. Many of these things will happen, but the end will not come right away
33. There will be pestilences in many places (viruses, epidemics, incurable disease, insects)
34. There will be many fearful events
35. There will be great signs from the heavens
36. Believers/followers will be betrayed by parents, relatives, friends and brothers in the faith.
37. Some of you will be martyred
38. All men will hate you on account of me
39. When you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies, you will know that its desolation is near
40. There will be a time of punishment about which the Scriptures write
41. There will be great wrath against the Jewish and Christian people
42. Many Jews and Christians will be taken captive as prisoners
43. Many will fall by the sword
44. Jerusalem will be trampled on by the Gentiles
45. Until the times of the Gentiles fulfilled
46. Nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea (hurricanes, tsunamis, cyclones, sea surges, flooding)
47. Men will faint from terror (terrorists and terrifying events)
48. Men will be apprehensive of what is coming on the world
49. The heavenly bodies will be shaken (meteors, stars fall from the sky)
What does a sign do? It points to something other than itself. A sign does not stand by the side of the road and say, “I am a sign; look at me!” No, it points to something else of importance: it provides warnings, information and directions. Reader, listener: be warned, informed and directed!
Jesus says the serious student of prophecy will be blessed if they do three things (Rev. 1:3):