Summary: A message to remind the listener that sin is still a real problem in today’s world.
INTRO: Sin is the transgression of the law. To constitute sin, there must be a law which we are acquainted with, and which we willfully violate. With sin, all men are chargeable. God has pronounced the whole world guilty.
Today, we want to see how we can deceive ourselves with our sins.
I. ALL MEN ARE CHARGEABLE WITH SIN.
A. We have all sinned against God.
1. Against His holy laws.
2. Against His government.
3. Against His goodness, mercy, and longsuffering.
B. Our sins have been both of Commission and Omission.
1. Omitted to perform divinely instituted duties.
2. "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart." Who
is not guilty of not keeping this commandment?
3. Committed positive transgressions.
a. Take the 1st. or 2nd. Commandment.
b. Haven’t we all served other gods?
c. Haven’t we all taken His name in vain?
d. Haven’t we all been covetous?
C. We have all sinned against our fellow man.
1. "Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself."
2. Against the law of goodness and mercy to all men.
3. Have not we all transgressed?
D. We have all sinned both in thought, expression, and practice.
1. Remember your imaginations.
2. Remember your speech.
3. Remember your lives.
E. Our sins must be forgiven or punished.
1. We have displeased God.
2. We must be punished of God.
3. He will forgive us.
II. A DENIAL OF OUR SINFULNESS IS SELF- DECEPTION.
A. Some deny their sin by denying the government of God.
1. Some say there is no God.
2. Others say He takes no interest in us.
B. Others deny their sinfulness by comparing themselves to others
1. They say they are better than the hypocrites.
2. Instead of comparing ourselves to the worst, let’s compare our
selves to the
C. Others deny their sinfulness through an idea that they have
1. It is clear from the scriptures that we are called to
2. But the attainment of this is never given even the most holy of
3. Let us beware of pride, which is the downfall of many men.