Summary: A message on discouragement.
SITTING UNDER A JUNIPER TREE
INTRO: Sometimes during our lives we get so discouraged that, as Elijah, we want to sit under a juniper tree and die. But, as Elijah did, we must face life and go on. We have much work to do and little time to do it in.
I. ELIJAH RUNS FROM JEZEBEL FOR FEAR.
A. When Elijah takes his eyes off God, and puts them on self,
look at the results. He starts to fear for his life.
B. He starts running from Jezebel.
1. Just as Simon Peter did when he walked on water.
2. This rugged prophet, is now afraid of a woman’s words.
C. Elijah had forgotten the God who had rained fire and water from
1. Elijah prayed that he might die.
a. We are so thankful that God does not answer all our
b. If He did, then Elijah would have died in despair.
2. Elijah thought that he was the only person serving God (vs.
II. LIKE ELIJAH, WE RUN FROM FEAR.
A. We sometimes run from the words of man.
B. We fear for our lives.
1. Not that we may physically die, but that we might not be ac
cepted by our friends.
2. At other times we may think we are the only one serving God.
C. But Elijah overcame his fear and began again to serve God.
1. A still small voice (v. 12).
2. He was afraid of the loud voice of Jezebel.
D. We must do the same as Elijah.
CONC: Elijah did more after he overcame his fear than he did before his fear.