Summary: This sermon tells about the symptoms of drifting away from God.
I had an old Pastor that would tell me “Warning comes before destruction.”
What he was saying is that before God sends down a judgement against a people. He always sends a warning as in the case of Jonah, and the city of Nineveh.
I believe God sends us warning when we start drifting away from Him.
1. Loss of Focus
Your heart changes from the things of God to the things of this world.
- King Solomon has a problem, HE LOVED WOMEN
- He had to have more and more women
- He was Greedy. Greed and lust can turn your heart away from God quicker than a drug addict can be turned away with a pound of cocaine
1 John 2:15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
2. Loss of Priorities
You are more concerned about yourself than others, including God
- In a world of self-serving and self-centeredness, the church must stand up and be different
- The world is looking for a change, looking for realness and a real devotion to each other
Matthew 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
3. Loss of Passion
You no longer have a passionate love for God or His word
- David not only had a passionate love for God, but also for his Word
- Psalms 119:11 “I will hide the word in my heart …”
- Do you remember when you were in love with God? Are you drifting away?
- You couldn’t put the Bible down
4. Loss of discipline
Your lifestyle becomes more sinful
- Obviously, if we find ourselves sinning we know that something is wrong
- But Paul says something very interesting, LIVE BY THE SPIRIT
- You can’t live by the spirit if you far from the spirit
5. Loss of Commitment
Your church attendance becomes less important to you
- The church should be a warm, friendly place where we can find friendship and encouragement
- There is a move within the church of God to stop going to church, or to have house church
- Luke 4:16 Jesus regularly went to church on the Sabbath day
6. Loss of Emotions
You no longer respond to altar calls
- when you don’t respond to the calling of the Lord to get your life in order, there are signs that you have Pride in your life
- The Bible says that Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before the Fall
- When we do not respond to the Lord’s calling to us we say that we are fine without the Lord
READ HOSEA 6:1-3