Summary: With God, even what is small can be used to make something wonderful!!
MICAH 5: 2-5a
SUNDAY PM SERVICE JULY 14, 2002
INTRODUCTION: One summer evening during a violent thunderstorm a mother was tucking her small boy into bed. She was about to turn off the light when he asked with a tremor in his voice, "Mommy, will you sleep with me tonight?"
The mother smiled and gave him a reassuring hug. "I can’t, Dear," she said, "I have to sleep with your daddy."
A long silence was broken at last by his shaky little voice: "The big sissy."
5 year old Johnny was in the kitchen as his mother made supper. She asked him to go into the pantry and get her a can of tomato soup, but he didn’t want to go alone. "It’s dark in there and I’m scared." She asked again and he persisted. Finally she said, "It’s OK-Jesus will be in there with you." Johnny walked hesitantly to the door and slowly opened it. He peeked inside, saw it was dark, and started to leave when all at once an idea came, and he said, "Jesus, if you’re in there, would you hand me that can of tomato soup."
TRANSITION THOUGHT: Some times we can’t but help feeling small. But is small really a curse. Our text for this night teaches us a great truth about size! When it comes to God, size doesn’t matter!!
THESIS SENTENCE: With God, even what is small can be used to make something wonderful!!
I. SMALL WONDERS HAPPEN IN INSIGNIFICANT PLACES (VV. 2)
A. SMALL WONDER: Bethlehem
1. The smallest clan, trifling or insignificant. Irregular word used so as to stand out, not regular word for small.
a. We feel insignificant! Men and Women share this curse!
b. Low Self Esteem comes when you are not prominent.
2. In comparison to Judah, least in the nation.
B. SMALL WONDER: “a ruler will come”
1. A new ruler, not one of the old incompetent rulers who had lead to disgrace and exile.
2. “A ruler for me,” For GOD, not for self or personal glory.
3. Rule over Israel: the people of God.
4. Origin of Old!!: a remembrance of the great kingdom of David when all was well and the nation had the blessings of God. Also the promise that one from David’s line would reign forever!
ILLUSTRATION: Wedding and Elderly Gentleman @ 82 had devotions with his wife, prayed, and were determined to hold to the old time religion!!
5. Isaiah 9:6: “For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders.”
6. John 18: 36, “Jesus said, ‘My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jews. But now my kingdom is from another place.’”
C. SMALL WONDER: NT EXAMPLE
1. Luke 19 and the story of Zacchaeus.
2. Size does not matter!!
3. Zacchaeus, Bethlehem, David, Jesus, and all of us are of significance to God and He proves His Power in our weakness!
4. Remember, Jesus went against the grain and taught us that even Women and Children Matter as illustrated in Matt. 19: 13-14, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.
II. SMALL WONDERS HAPPEN AT SIGNIFICANT TIMES (VV. 3)
A. SIGNIFICANT TIMES: ISRAEL ABANDONED!
1. Sin is punished: the evil of the day will continue for some time.
2. Israel is abandoned until it is the right time; until God says so!
B. SIGNIFICANT TIMES: LABOR AND DELIVERY!
1. Labor equals suffering!
2. Delivery equals Birth/ NEW LIFE!!
C. SIGNIFICANT TIMES: THE FULLNES OF TIME!
1. “But when the time had fully come, God sent his Son, born of a woman, born under law, to redeem those under law, that we might receive the full rights of sons (Galatians 4: 4-5).”
2. God has a plan and it will run on his time table and it will be worth it all (when we see Jesus, one look at his dear face, all troubles will erase!).
D. SIGNIFICANT TIMES: THE LAST DAYS!
1. “First of all, you must understand that in the last days scoffers will come, scoffing and following their own evil desires. They will say, ‘Where is this ‘coming’ He promised? Ever since our fathers died, everything goes on as it has since the beginning of creation.’ But they deliberately forget that long ago by God’s word the heavens existed and the earth was formed out of water and by water… By the same word the present heavens and earth are reserved for fire, being kept for the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men… The Lord is not slow in keeping His promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to repentance. But the day of the Lord will come like a thief.”