Summary: God has provided a great Salvation for us all
SO GREAT A SALVATION
3. how shall we escape if we neglect so great a salvation, which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed to us by those who heard Him,
In Hebrews 2:3 we are confronted first with the possibility of neglect. Most of the calamities of life are caused by simple neglect. By neglect of education, children grow up in ignorance; by neglect, a farm grows up to weeds and briars ; by neglect, a house goes to decay; by neglect of sowing, a man will have ho harvest; by neglect of reaping, the harvest would rot in the fields. No worldly interest can prosper where there is neglect; and why may it not be so in the spiritual.
Secondly, we are warned about the peril of neglect, “How shall we escape?” Neglect brings ruin. Ecclesiastes 10:18 states, 18. Because of laziness the building decays, and through idleness of hands the house leaks. Neglect comes from disinterest and that leads to decay and destruction.
Thirdly, we observe the presumption of neglect - “great salvation.” Now the word great relates either to quality or quantity. When something is better than good it IS great. When something is better than big, it is great.
When God looked on His creation, He said it was “good.” When God refers to salvation, He calls it “great.”
Why is salvation great? I have looked at this and it is because of its availability, simplicity, and its productivity.
I. Salvation is great because of its PERSON
Salvation is not in a place. Salvation is not in a process (wafer, water, or works). It is the Word that became flesh [I John 1:14]. It is a person.
If someone is the best, we call them great. Babe Ruth was called the “The great bambino.” Salvation is great because Jesus is great.
A. Great high priest (Hebrews 4:14)
14. Seeing then that we have a great High Priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession.
15. For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin.
B. Great shepherd (Hebrews 13:20, 21)]
20. Now may the God of peace who brought up our Lord Jesus from the dead, that great Shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant,
21. make you complete in every good work to do His will, working in you what is well pleasing in His sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen.
C. Great king (Matthew 12:42)
42. "The queen of the South will rise up in the judgment with this generation and condemn it, for she came from the ends of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon; and indeed a greater than Solomon is here.
Jesus was great:
14. "Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a Son, and shall call His name Immanuel.
23. "Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel,’’ which is translated, "God with us.’’
• in His VIRTUOUS life (I Peter 2:21, 22)