Summary: Exegetical, evangelistic, expository verse by verse sermon on the sovereignty, person, and work of Jesus.
Our faith is sometimes questioned. What does it matter what you believe? Here are 2 or 3 things that Jesus cared deeply about. We should care also.
1) Day 7. John 1 has 3 “next days.” This is 3 days after.
· Jesus went to the wedding at Cana. This implies his blessing on marriage. Marriage is the normal situation for people. But that is not the point of the story.
· The wine had run out. Shame for the couple & their families. Mary asks Jesus to help. Jesus reacts by providing wine. But that is not the point of the story.
· Real wine, not grape juice. Wine was the normal drink. Luke 22:18; He will drink the new wine on judgment day, but not until then. But that is not the point of the story.
· Jesus said His hour had not come. 7 times in this Gospel, Jesus refers to His hour. His hour refers to His death. But that is not the point of the story.
· People see lots of symbolism in the miracle. 6: imperfection. Stone water pots: 10 commandments written in stone. Empty pots: the failure of law & tradition. Jewish ritual purification by washing hands: tradition is not good enough. But that is not the point of the story!
· His disciples believed on Him when they saw His glory. His glory is not in the wedding or the wine. The disciples believed on him as Savior! The point of the story is the saving power of Jesus, the glory of His sovereignty.
2) At the Passover: Jesus went to the temple to worship.
· Priests had set up business in the Temple: the place of prayer & worship was a den of thieves. Palm 69:9-32
· His zeal. With a whip of cords he drove out people & animals alike. Jesus spilled their money all over the floor. This is God’s house! They weren’t worshipping, as they should. Do you worship as you should?
· His wisdom. Many professed faith because of Jesus’ works. Jesus did not accept them: he knew their hearts. V23 the people “believed,” & V24 Jesus did not “entrust” is the same Greek word. They believed for miracles, Jesus didn’t trust them.
· Inv: Have you believed in Him? Or have you simply believed about Him?