Summary: Human beings are social beings, as is God; therefore, we must learn both how society works and how we can honor God living among others.
Social Creatures and A Social God
1. We have descriptions for everyone. We are outgoing or introverted, type A or type B, gracious or controlling, wise or foolish, young or old, open minded or closed minded.
2. Did you hear about the dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac? He stayed up all night trying to decide if there was a dog.
3. One generality about people, however, is that we are social beings by nature; some of us, however, do better in social situations than others.
4. God is a social being. The 3 Persons of the Trinity relate to one another. God created man in his image, and interacts socially with us.
5. Because God is social, we cannot be among those who say, “I don’t care what other people think.” We are to put God first and must not compromise, but we need to try to get along with and connect to others as well. Jesus refused to separate the 2 Great Commandments, loving God and others.
6. Some Christians have anti-social baggage they bring into their faith, and it doesn’t work.
Main Idea: Human beings are social beings, as is God; therefore, we must learn both how society works and how we can honor God living among others.
I. The Wicked Will Be RUINED by God (12)
A. God is RIGHTEOUS
1. The righteous MAN?
Some versions have “righteous man.” The terms “man” or “one” are translations of the Hebrew “meshkil,” This is a tough one; it could refer to how righteous people are perplexed at the prosperity of the wicked until they consider their end. This would be the same as what we read in Psalm 73:12-24.
Behold, these are the wicked; always at ease, they increase in riches. All in vain have I kept my heart clean and washed my hands in innocence. For all the day long I have been stricken and rebuked every morning.
If I had said, “I will speak thus,”I would have betrayed the generation of your children.
But when I thought how to understand this, it seemed to me a wearisome task, until I went into the sanctuary of God; then I discerned their end.
Truly you set them in slippery places; you make them fall to ruin. How they are destroyed in a moment, swept away utterly by terrors! Like a dream when one awakes, O Lord, when you rouse yourself, you despise them as phantoms.
When my soul was embittered, when I was pricked in heart, I was brutish and ignorant; I was like a beast toward you. Nevertheless, I am continually with you; you hold my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will receive me to glory.
2. I lean toward this being the righteous GOD
B. He SEES all
C. He JUDGES all and ruins the wicked
• All of us are sinners, and all of us will be judged. But those of us in Christ, while we will give an account of all we have done, will be counted legally righteous in Jesus Christ.
D. Usually in this life, but surely at JUDGMENT
1. By the laws of society he has established (generally)
2. By special intervention when he chooses (God is longsuffering)
3. By final judgment