Summary: Solving Problems God’s Way Part 1: How We Normally Handle Problems
Solving Problems God’s Way
Part 1: How We Normally Handle Problems
One of the problems a preacher faces is getting the message he has in his head and his heart into the head and hearts of his listeners.
Sometimes the preacher feels like his message just isn’t getting across.
There was a lawyer, a doctor, and a preacher that went deer hunting. It just so happened that the first deer they saw, each one shot at the deer. An argument began over whose shot killed the deer. The lawyer was the first to speak up. He said he knew it was the shot from his gun that had killed the deer. The doctor said, "Let me go take a look and examine the deer, and I’ll tell you who shot it." The doctor returns and says, "I’m afraid I have to report with absolute certainty that it was the preachers gun that killed the deer!" Lawyer says, "How do you know that?" …"Because the bullet went in one ear and out the other!"
* …And you thought you were the only ones who had problems.
* We all have problems,
* While there are things we can do to minimize problems in our lives, we will never be completely problem free until we are taken out of this world that is contaminated with sin.
* Some of our problems are small problems; some problems are large problems.
- They come in all shapes and sizes
- Some problems are short lived, other problems linger on in our lives.
What I won’t be doing in this series of sermons:
1) I won’t be giving you a formula to solve All problems.
-- I am convinced God does not want us to have a totally problem free life.
-- John 16:33 – “These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.”
2) I won’t be addressing every possible problem we face. Time, nor knowledge will allow me to do that.
* We will be talking about:
1- How we normally handle problems (today)
2- causes of problems – root causes
3- causes of problems – digging deeper into root causes
3- purpose of problems
4- benefits of problems
5- solving problems God’s way
6- problem prevention
* Today - Five ways we normally handle problems
1- Separate God from the problem Mark 6:45-52
--We think to ourselves “I broke it…I fix it”
--It’s the old …“You mess it up , you clean it up” mentality.
--We have the attitude "This is my responsibility."
--“I can” …without God.
--Full of self-confidence
* This is illustrated for us in the New Testament.
Mark 6:45-52 And straightway he constrained his disciples to get into the ship, and to go to the other side before unto Bethsaida, while he sent away the people. (46) And when he had sent them away, he departed into a mountain to pray. (47) And when even was come, the ship was in the midst of the sea, and he alone on the land. (48) And he saw them toiling in rowing; for the wind was contrary unto them: and about the fourth watch of the night he cometh unto them, walking upon the sea, and would have passed by them. (49) But when they saw him walking upon the sea, they supposed it had been a spirit, and cried out: (50) For they all saw him, and were troubled. And immediately he talked with them, and saith unto them, Be of good cheer: it is I; be not afraid. (51) And he went up unto them into the ship; and the wind ceased: and they were sore amazed in themselves beyond measure, and wondered. (52) For they considered not the miracle of the loaves: for their heart was hardened.