Summary: Every person needs to understand what the rich man in hell knows. It is amazing how spiritually blind the rich man was and how enlightened he became in hell. Some things in hell we need:
Every person needs to understand what the rich man in hell knows. It is amazing how spiritually blind the rich man was and how enlightened he became in hell.
Some things in hell we need:
1. The Clearness of Sight: (Luke 16:23) And in hell he lift up his
eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in
• The punishment of hell v. 23
• The paradise of heaven v. 23
2. The Cries of Supplication: Luke 16:24, And he cried and said,
Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus.…
• Tears of memory
• Tears for mercy
• Tears of mediation v. 27, 28
3. The Consciousness of Suffering: for I am tormented in this flame.
• The suffering of the fire v. 24
• The suffering of the fears v. 28
• The suffering of the forever Rev. 20:10
• The suffering for the decisions that affect others and us
• The suffering of standing in judgment before Almighty God
4. The Completeness of Separation: Luke 16:26, there is a
great gulf fixed
(cf. 2 Corinthians 6:14-18 Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has light with darkness? 15And what accord has Christ with Belial? Or what part has a believer with an unbeliever? 16And what agreement has the temple of God with idols? For you are the temple of the living God. As God has said: I will dwell in them And walk among them. I will be their God, And they shall be My people. 17Therefore Come out from among them And be separate, says the Lord. Do not touch what is unclean, And I will receive you. 18I will be a Father to you, And you shall be My sons and daughters, Says the LORD Almighty.)
• The saints in their place
• The sinners in their place (refutes reincarnation, return from
death, and purgatory)
5. The Concern for Sinners: Luke 16:27-28 Then he said, I beg you therefore, father, that you would send him to my father’s house, 28for I have five brothers, that he may testify to them, lest they also come to this place of torment.
• He became missionary minded (send Lazarus)
6. The Correct Way of Salvation: Luke 16:31 If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.
It’s pathetic how few churches today present a clear gospel message. There must be:
• The repentance of sins: Romans 10:9-13 that if you confess with
your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God
has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10For with the
heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth
confession is made unto salvation. 11For the Scripture says,
Whoever believes on Him will not be put to shame. 12For there
is no distinction between Jew and Greek, for the same Lord over
all is rich to all who call upon Him. 13For whoever calls on
the name of the LORD shall be saved.
• The resurrection of Christ: 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 Moreover,
brethren, I declare to you the gospel which I preached to you,
which also you received and in which you stand, 2by which also
you are saved, if you hold fast that word which I preached to
you--unless you believed in vain. 3For I delivered to you first
of all that which I also received: that Christ died for our
sins according to the Scriptures, 4and that He was buried, and
that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures,
Conclusion: Therefore, every person needs to understand what the rich man in hell knows.