Summary: The Apostles had something to give that was better than the wealth of the world.
SERIES: Adventures in Acts 003
TITLE: Something Better Than Gold
TEXT: Acts 3:1-11
INTRO: Luke described the early church by saying, “Everyone was filled with awe, and many wonders and miraculous signs were done by the apostles.” (Acts 2:43). But, he doesn't telll us what the signs and wonders were. Today, as we look at chapter 3, Luke gives us a glimpse of one of those signs and wonders.
I. A LAME MAN
A. His Condition
1. He had been born lame & lived his life that way
2. In Acts ch.4 we're told "...the man was above forty years old..."
3. Only means of making a living was to beg for alms
4. He was at the gate called Beautiful or the Nicanor gate.
# Also called the Corinthian gate... covered in Corinthian brass, an alloy of copper, gold and silver. It was 75 ft tall and it took 20 men to open it. When the sun rose over the eastern mountains the gate was dazzlingly beautiful.
B. A Special Day
It was a day, just like any other day. His brothers got him out of bed and dressed him, then carried him to his usual spot at the temple gate. As he lay there, he thought of all the days he had lain there and how those days stretched out to infinity. He looked down at his useless legs stretched out on the blanket in front of him. He had never felt them, never moved them. He never ran as a boy, never walked as a man. It wasn't much of a life, just existing the best way he could. Today was just like any other day. The sky wasn't any bluer, the birds didn't sing any sweeter, the sun didn't shine any brighter. It was just a day like any other day, and yet before it was finished it would be the best day of his life. He would meet Peter & John who would introduce him to the Great Physician.
II. A MIRACLE
A. Peter & John
1. Had been partners in fishing business when Jesus called them
2. Together, they had run to the empty tomb after Jesus' resurrection
3. Peter was outgoing, impulsive, & opinionated. John was quiet & reflective
4. Uneducated but filled with the Holy Spirit
(Act 4:13) Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were unlearned and ignorant men, they marvelled; and they took knowledge of them, that they had been with Jesus.
B. Signs and Wonders
1. It was 9th hour or about 3 p.m. when they came for prayer
2. A children's song relates what happened:
"Peter and John went to pray.
They met a lame man on the way
He asked for alms and held out his palms,
And this is what Peter did say
Silver and gold have I none,
But such as I have give I thee"
3. Peter took the man by the hand and lifted him up & the man was healed
4. The man stood up & went into the temple, walking and leaping & praising God
5. The people who saw it were filled with wonder & amazement
III. THE MESSAGE
A. The Crippling Effects of Sin
1. Sin distorts & cripples everything it touches
2. It leaves one impoverished
3. Isolates from fellowship w/others
4. Alienates from God
(Eph 4:18) Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart: