Summary: There is nothing that God cannot do. The Bible encourages the Christian to have Faith in God. What is Faith, and why Faith in God is important are preached in this sermon.
Title: Something To Sing About!
Text: II Chronicles 20:20-23
II Chronicles 20:20-23 says, “Early in the morning they left for the Desert of Tekoa. As they set out, Jehoshaphat stood and said, Listen to me, Judah and people of Jerusalem! Have faith in the Lord your God and you will be upheld; have faith in His prophets and you will be successful. After consulting the people, Jehoshaphat appointed men to sing to the Lord and to praise Him for the splendor of His Holiness as they went out at the head of the army, saying: Give thanks to the Lord, for His love endures forever.
As they began to sing and praise, the Lord set ambushes against the men of Ammon and Moab and Mount Seir who were invading Judah, and they were defeated. The men of Ammon and Moab rose up against the men from Mount Seir to destroy and annihilate them. After they finished slaughtering the men from Seir, they helped to destroy on another.”
- There is nothing that God cannot do. The Bible encourages the Christian to have Faith in God. In your deep dark hour of need, the Bible tells us to have faith in God.
- One of the ways Faith is manifested in our lives is through singing.
- In our text singing was the result or manifestation of a people who trusted in God to see them through.
- When Paul and Silas were in jail after being flogged for proclaiming the gospel, they began to sing, because of there faith in God.
- Singing is an outward sign of how we feel inside.
- We will either sing a rejoicing song of victory, or a sad song of defeat.
- With God we always have the victory.
- So therefore we just don’t sing any songs, but songs of praise unto the Lord. Songs of Thanksgiving and adoration to the Lord.
- Why? Because we have faith that God will come through.
What is faith?
- Faith is the radar that guides a ship or an airplane through the night.
- No matter how dark, and foggy it looks, the beeping on the radar tells the polit that through the darkness, down below is the runway, just keep believing and guiding the aircraft in faith.
- Now going to God in prayer without faith, is like going to wal-mart without money.
- Faith is believing in God for the impossible.
- What your mind can conceive you can achieve.
- The Bible says, “Nothing is impossible for those that believe.”
- The question is what are you believing for?
- If you knew that nothing was impossible with God, what would you believe God for?
- What would you be willing to ask Him in Faith?
- Always remember God is moved by our faith.
- It’s faith that moves the hand of God and nothing else.
- What are you believing for?
- The big problem in Canadian churches is not our lack of faith.
- The problem is we don’t think God will do it for me.
- I can believe that God will do it for someone else, but God cannot do it for me.
- Success is for everyone, God is not a respecter of persons, God wants to use all, but we must respond in faith.
- In our text this morning, success was for the people of Judah and Jerusalem.
- It was not for a select few but for all.
- The Bible says in II Chron 20:24-25, “When the men of Judah came to the place that overlooks the desert and looked toward the vast army, they saw only dead bodies lying on the ground; no one had escaped. So Jehoshaphat and his men went to carry off their plunder, and they found among them a great amount of equipment and clothing and also articles of value, more than they could take away. There was so much plunder that it took three days to collect it.”
- It was Jehoshaphat and the men of Judah that went to carry off their plunder.
- Meaning success is for everyone.
- There was so much that it took 3 days to gather all the plunder the Lord had given them.
- Think about that for a few moments. That’s like us going into Wal-Mart and collecting all the merchandise for 3 days straight.
- God is so good, He blesses not only material, but in every way.
- God gave Jehoshaphat peace throughout the land, because those who live by faith in God have peace with God from there enemies.
- Before we go into Why it’s important to have faith, let me first say there are two interpretations to faith.