Summary: A message on why it is important for men to join and become active in churches
A man and his ever-nagging wife went on vacation to Jerusalem
When they were there his wife passed away
The undertaker told the husband you could ship her home for $5,000 or, we can bury her here for $150
The man chose to ship her home
Undertaker asked why?
"A long time ago a man died here and was buried. And three days later he got back up...I can't take that chance."
- We've been on a series entitled the Sons of Thunder
- Our primary thought is the absence of men in the Christian church
- Christianity is the only religion in the world where men are outnumbered by women
„X Perhaps we've led wrong
„X In catering to women and reaching out to children
- Because now the church is perceived to be a place for women & children and wimps.
WHY MEN HATE CHURCH
1. The Culture Isn't Conducive
2. Too Much Feminine Influence
3. Can't Relate to the Pastor
4. Music is too Soft and Romantic
5. Lack of Relevance
6. A Disregard for Excellence and Professionalism
7. The Church is too Mystical and Spooky
„X God so loved the world...
He saved us
„X But he's coming like a thief in the night to surprise us.
"Let the Word of God impregnate you! The Church is the womb of Christ"
„X Personal prophecies
„X Water from the Jordan
„X Prayer ribbons
„X Are not bought by men
* Men feel that the Christian lifestyle falls somewhere between
o Being a nerd or a nut
* Women who get saved say that they are now married to God
EXAMPLE: Lady praying for me
Putting a prayer shawl over me
While waving a Lion of the Tribe of Judah
banner over me
* Message of:
„X Can't play cards
„X Can't dance
„X Can't go to movies
„X Can't listen to rock-n-roll
* (bring your bad movies & music in)
* This overly cautious...
* Extremely risk-average posture
* Hurts the church's reputation with men.
* Over time the church sends out a message that we're afraid of everything.
* Come to church and you will be afraid...of...
o The spirits in rock music
o The devils in the playing cards
o The spirit of violence in a Rambo movie
* And men are saying...
...I ain't afraid of no ghost!
8. Don't Like the Picture of Heaven that the Church has Painted
o I remember as a 12 year old in a church in Mississippi
o The quartet always sang
„X The 1st million years in glory
„X "I am going to praise him the first million years"
o We've portrayed
„X I'll sing with the Angels
„X Crying Holy
o No man wants to float around on a cloud playing a harp
o Singing Holy, holy, holy
o The Muslim guys get seventy-two virgins
o I believe in Heaven
o But it won't be boring / dull
* Without challenge
o If we are faithful here
o I will make you rulers over many things
His master replied, "Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!"
- Worlds to conquer
o Captains -- different levels of rewards and responsibilities
- Mighty warring angels
o Samson will be there