Summary: Part three of a three part series on praying in the spirit and tongues.
Speaking in tongues
1Co 12:27 Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.
1Co 12:28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.
1Co 12:29 Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?
1Co 12:30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?
Paul is Clearly implying that not all in the church have each one of these gifts. Tongues is one gift amongst many distributed to the Church.
Later in chapter 14:5, he writes; ?I want you all to speak in tongues.?
1Co 12:31 But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.
You dont have to speak in tongues to be saved or to be a Christian
But as we approach the study of God?s word today, you need to ask yourself these very important questions;
1. How intimate do you want to be with God?
2. How much do you want to receive from God? Do you want all that He has to give you or only a little bit?
3. What if you found out that there is a direct telephone number to God?s throne where you can get thru and talk to God anytime you wanted?
I. Let?s see what speaking in tongues is NOT:
1. Speaking in tongues is not a requisite for being saved.
*Rom. 10:9-10, ? For if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For it is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by confessing with your mouth that you are saved.
2. Speaking in tongues is not something that you do, to show others that you are more spiritual than other Christians.
-You can speak with tongues and be less spiritual than everyone else.
*1 Cor. 13:1-3, ?If I speak with the atongues of men and of bangels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a cclanging cymbal.
If I have the gift of aprophecy, and know all bmysteries and all cknowledge; and if I have dall faith, so as to eremove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.
And if I agive all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I bsurrender my body 1to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing?.
3. You cannot buy it or pay a class for someone to teach you how to speak in tongues.
- Only the Holy Spirit can give you the gift of tongues. Look at what happened to Simon?
*Acts 8:14-23, ? When the apostles back in Jerusalem heard that the people of Samaria had accepted God?s message, they sent Peter and John there. 15 As soon as they arrived, they prayed for these new Christians to receive the Holy Spirit. 16 The Holy Spirit had not yet come upon any of them, for they had only been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 17 Then Peter and John laid their hands upon these believers, and they received the Holy Spirit.
18 When Simon saw that the Holy Spirit was given when the apostles placed their hands upon people?s heads, he offered money to buy this power. 19 ?Let me have this power, too,? he exclaimed, ?so that when I lay my hands on people, they will receive the Holy Spirit!?
20 But Peter replied, ?May your money perish with you for thinking God?s gift can be bought! 21 You can have no part in this, for your heart is not right before God. 22 Turn from your wickedness and pray to the Lord. Perhaps he will forgive your evil thoughts, 23 for I can see that you are full of bitterness and held captive by sin.?
24 ?Pray to the Lord for me,? Simon exclaimed, ?that these terrible things won?t happen to me!?
4. Speaking in tongues is not an uncontrolled thing that the Holy Spirit makes you do.
-You choose to speak or not
- ?The the spirit of the prophet is subject to the prophet?.
II. There are controversies in the body of Christ about speaking in tongues.
1. That the teaching of Jesus didn?t support speaking in tongues.
* Mark 16, Jesus said; ?And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues; 18 they will take up serpents; and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.