Summary: Speaking in tongues was a major issue in Corinth and its also a major issue today!
SPEAKING IN TONGUES
1 Corinthians 14:1-25 / November 4,2012
INTRODUCTION: Paul teaches about two features of the worship service in Corinth tongues and prophecy and discusses their value or importance.
Spiritual Gifts: 1) varied. 2) come from God. 3) The gifts are to help others / help the church.
1. UNDERSTANDING TONGUES 1-5
Speaking in tongues major issue in Corinth / Major issue today
v.1 - Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy.
1. Love be your highest goal! / Love not natural / Love acquired thru prayer / Love is disposition mind
2. Desire the (gifts) special abilities the Spirit wants you to have
3. Prophesy: speaking what God has revealed. interpreting scripture
v.2-5 - Speaking in tongues is a legitimate spiritual gift!
1. 1Cor 13:8-12 Tongues will cease / But when?
Definition of Speaking in Tongues is when someone speaks in a language that he or she does not know.
Purpose of Speaking In Tongues (Bible 3 types of use):
1. v.5 - A private prayer language that is not interpreted
2. v.5 - A language that is interpreted within the church.
3. v.22 - A missionary tool - in the context of evangelism where people hearing gospel in own language.
v.5 Paul says - I’m glad you speak in tongues BUT prophesying more important! WHY?
1. PPL need plain interpretation of scripture
2. edify / building the church
3. Using God’s gifts to Glorify God
2. THE MISUNDERSTANDING 6-19
V.6 Paul says - If you speak in a way no one can understand, what’s the point?
• Corinthians thought superior to other gifts (spiritual pride)
• Corinthians creating tensions / division in the congregation
• Corinthians church causing confusion
V.12 Paul says - If you’re so eager to participate in what God is doing, why don’t you concentrate on doing what helps everyone in the church?
• I met folks who thought they were more spiritual than other Christians because they could speak in tongues.
• I knew individuals who would speak in tongues at church, but didn’t live like a Christian during week.
• I’ve heard preaching that said if you didn’t speak in tongues, you did not have the Holy Spirit (NOT CORRECT)
v.5 Paul wished ALL could speak in tongues! That mean some Christian did not have that particular Spiritual Gift
V.19 - Paul says that he would rather speak 5 words that his hearers can understand than 10,000 that they cannot
• *The Corinthians were focused only on their own spirituality and they didn’t give a rip about others who desperately needed Jesus.
• Our attitude in church is crucial
3. WHATS REALLY IMPORTANT? 20-25
• v.20 Dear brothers and sisters, don’t be childish in your understanding
• v.23 JESUS wants unlearned and unbelievers in HIS Church
• v.23 JESUS wants His church to be full of Love / not out of control
• v.24 JESUS wants PPL to KNOW Him / Thru HIS Word
• v.24 JESUS wants PPL to KNOW that their sin has SEPARATED them from HIM
• v.25 JESUS wants PPL to WORSHIP HIM
• Tongues was a highly coveted gift.. But the GREATEST Gift is JESUS CHRIST
• Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
• Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.