Summary: In the giving of the greatest gift to mankind,God packaged up multiple gifts in the one package.
Sunday December 23, 2001
SPECIAL GIFTS FROM GOD
7 But unto every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ.
8 Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.
When we think about the time of year we are in today---naturaly we think about Christmas.
We most of the time think the same things about Christmas year after year. (and there is nothing wrong with that)
Here is where we always go in our mind: [St Luke chapter 2]
1. And it came to pass in those days, that there went out a decree from Ceasar Augustus, that all the world should be taxed.
2. (And this taxing was first made when Cy-re’ni-us was governor of Syria.)
3. And all went to be taxed, every one into his own city.
4. And Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Naz’a-reth, into Ju-dae’a, unto the city of David, which is called Bethlehem; (because he was of the house and lineage of David:)
5. To be taxed with Mary his espoused wife, being great with child.
6. And so it was, that, while they were there, the days were accomplished that she should be delivered.
7. And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn.
8. And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night.
9. And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid.
10. And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.
11. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.
The Bible says in Matthew in the second chapter that the wise men brought treasures to The Son of God----gifts, gold and frankincense, and myrrh.
Those gifts were being given to the GREATEST gift that had ever been given.
For Christians, Jesus is the central figure of the Bible.
He was the fulfillment of God’s promises made through the Old Testament prophets; the good news that he brought mankind was God’s offer of a new covenant of salvation.
Jesus was called the Christ, which in Hebrew meant Messiah, which meant "God’s anointed one."
And so, not only was he the babe in the manger, but he was the "Anointed One."
Now we are starting to see that he was a whole lot more than just an ordinary baby boy.
For thirty years he lived his life much like anyone else---of course we know there were some differences.
At twelve years of age he seemed to know more about the scrolls than anyone around him.
We don’t know that much about him from about that age until he was around thirty years old.
His first cousin, John the Baptist, was doing some preaching and baptizing a quite a lot of people wherever he traveled and he told about one that would come after him that would be powerful.
Don’t you know he must have been surprised the day Jesus came walking down that dusty road, walked out into the river , and said, "Baptize me."