Summary: In the giving of the greatest gift to mankind,God packaged up multiple gifts in the one package.
Sunday December 23, 2001
SPECIAL GIFTS FROM GOD
7 But unto every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ.
8 Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.
When we think about the time of year we are in today---naturaly we think about Christmas.
We most of the time think the same things about Christmas year after year. (and there is nothing wrong with that)
Here is where we always go in our mind: [St Luke chapter 2]
1. And it came to pass in those days, that there went out a decree from Ceasar Augustus, that all the world should be taxed.
2. (And this taxing was first made when Cy-re’ni-us was governor of Syria.)
3. And all went to be taxed, every one into his own city.
4. And Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Naz’a-reth, into Ju-dae’a, unto the city of David, which is called Bethlehem; (because he was of the house and lineage of David:)
5. To be taxed with Mary his espoused wife, being great with child.
6. And so it was, that, while they were there, the days were accomplished that she should be delivered.
7. And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn.
8. And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night.
9. And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid.
10. And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.
11. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.
The Bible says in Matthew in the second chapter that the wise men brought treasures to The Son of God----gifts, gold and frankincense, and myrrh.
Those gifts were being given to the GREATEST gift that had ever been given.
For Christians, Jesus is the central figure of the Bible.
He was the fulfillment of God’s promises made through the Old Testament prophets; the good news that he brought mankind was God’s offer of a new covenant of salvation.
Jesus was called the Christ, which in Hebrew meant Messiah, which meant "God’s anointed one."
And so, not only was he the babe in the manger, but he was the "Anointed One."
Now we are starting to see that he was a whole lot more than just an ordinary baby boy.
For thirty years he lived his life much like anyone else---of course we know there were some differences.
At twelve years of age he seemed to know more about the scrolls than anyone around him.
We don’t know that much about him from about that age until he was around thirty years old.
His first cousin, John the Baptist, was doing some preaching and baptizing a quite a lot of people wherever he traveled and he told about one that would come after him that would be powerful.
Don’t you know he must have been surprised the day Jesus came walking down that dusty road, walked out into the river , and said, "Baptize me."
John the Baptist felt just like we do when Jesus shows up----No one had to tell him that it was The Anointed One.
He could feel it in his presence.
And so the Bible says He suffered him to be baptized----only to get the surprise of his life.
The Spirit of Almighty God sat upon him in the form of a dove and God Himself said, "This is my beloved Son in whom I am well pleased."
I want you to know that when he came up out of that river, He had more power upon him than most would ever dream.
He began the mission that He came to do.
He started preaching and teaching like never before.---Why?---Because he was now full to the max with the Holy Ghost and power like never or no one before.
He was the most presious gift that had ever been given----but all wrapped up in that package was gifts to come like the world had never experienced in such a magnitude.
Can you just stop, think about, and realize what it was really like for the next three years?
Our Cannan King covered about everything and every subject that we could ever deal with in this short life we live here on this earth.
I mean, would we have ever excepted Him to show up at a wedding, where they would run out of wine, and then turn water pots full of water into wine.