Summary: This sermon explains how men and women are different and particularly how husbands can communicate with their wives.
• Men and women are different.
• Wives need to connect - they want connectivity!
• She wants to be close!
I. CLOSENESS IS CRUCIAL FOR HER
• Genesis 2:24-25, “For this reason a man shall leave his father and his mother, and be joined to
his wife; and they shall become one flesh...”
• Cleaving is multi-faceted – emotional, spiritual and physical
• Face to face…in all creation only humans are sexually intimate face to face.
• Deuteronomy 24:5, “...shall give happiness to his wife whom he has taken.”
• By staying home and connecting.
II. INVOLVEMENT OR INDEPENDENCE
• When you walk in the door the first thing she would usually like is a few moments to reconnect.
• Often she is at one end and he is at the other.
• Typically she leans towards involvement.
• Men lean toward independence.
• Men, when you move toward her you are doing the right thing - building bridges not walls.
• Break the crazy cycle and do the right thing.
III. OPENNESS AND UNDERSTANDING
• She is looking for both openness and understanding.
• Our openness spells love for her.
• Colossians 3:19, “Husbands, love your wives and do not be embittered against them.”
• Deal with your heart.
• Understanding - I Peter 3:7, “Husbands live with your wives in an understanding way...”
• Command. Present tense = ongoing imperative
• Live with your wives – walk with her, listen to her.
• Understanding way = to grasp or understand
• She wants you to understand her, not fix her.
IV. LOYALTY COUNTS
• Speak highly of your wife in public.
• Proverbs 31:28-29, “Her children speak well of her. Her husband also praises her...”
• I Peter 3:7 - “honor her”
• This sends a message of concern and love to her.
• Many men get their self image from their work…most women get it from their family.
• Be involved in things that she likes.
• Song of Solomon 8:6, “Wear me as a signet ring on your heart, as a ring on your hand...”
• Your ring is a sign of loyalty, wear it.