Summary: We need to be alert to being spiritually abducted!
• SLIDE #1
• I cannot imagine the horror a family faces when a loved one is abducted. If you have been following the news you have heard of one the most recent cases out of Cleveland where three girls had been missing for over ten years.
• They were given up for dead only to be found alive, they have been abducted and were subjected so unspeakable horrors for the duration of their captivity.
• According to Parents.com a child is abducted every 40 seconds. That translates to over 2,000 children per day (under 18 years of age) or 800,000 per year.
• According to recently published FBI statistics that city is Phoenix Arizona. You read that right. According to the FBI you stand a greater chance of being kidnapped in this American city than you do in Baghdad, Iraq or Kabul, Afghanistan. (http://www.sbwire.com/press-releases/us-city-world-kidnapping-capital-separating-fact-from-fiction-154762.htm)
• Mexico had by far has been the biggest location for kidnappings" followed by Honduras, Venezuela, Nigeria and the Philippines.
• But according to a 2012, October article Nigeria now gets that honor.
• They account of over 25% of the world’s kidnapping. (http://www.bellanaija.com/2012/10/04/nigeria-is-now-the-kidnap-for-ransom-capital-of-the-world-accounting-for-25-of-global-kidnappings-aio/)
• I have seen the shows on TV where a guy gets abducted and ends up living in a box for months until a ransom can be met.
• I found that there are companies that sell “kidnapping” insurance that companies can purchase to cover their workers in case of a kidnapping. The insurance company will pay a ransom to get you back.
• How many of you would do all you could to protect you and your family from being kidnapped?
• Think for a moment about how difficult it would be to have a loved one taken from you.
• Now we are going to turn in a little different direction. Imagine for a moment a loved one who belongs to Jesus being spiritually abducted away from God.
• In our text we are Paul is trying to warn his readers of the danger. No one can snatch us away from the love of God, but we can allow ourselves to be taken away into captivity.
• What are you doing to protect yourself from being spiritually kidnapped?
• Let’s look at our text together
• SLIDE #2
• Colossians 2:8 (ESV) See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ.
• SLIDE #3
I. The clear and present danger of spiritual abduction.
• It is so easy to be going about your business only to realize that one day you have been taken captive spiritually.
• Paul has been speaking on the subject of making sure your walk is solid now he speaks of the danger of being taken captive.
• In verse 8 he starts out by saying that we are to see to it that no one takes you captive.