Summary: Descriptions of Christians who drop out of Church.
Gal 6:9 "And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not. (KJV)
A. DEFINITION OF DROPOUT
1. A school dropout is a student who leaves a school for any reason except death before graduation or completion of a course of study and without transferring to another school.
2. A spiritual dropout is a Christian who leaves a church for any reason except death before completing their course on earth without transferring membership to another church.
B. SCHOOL DROPOUTS
1. How many of you know someone who dropped out of school?
2. Most of them don't do very well in life.
3. They struggle at finding a good job.
4. They prevent themselves from getting a college education unless they get a G.E.D.
5. Getting a G.E.D. is difficult for many of them.
C. SPIRITUAL DROPOUTS
1. Many of us also know spiritual dropouts.
2. They do not do well in their spiritual life.
3. They struggle with their purpose in life and with finding their . . proper place in life.
I. THE HAZARDS OF BEING A SPIRITUAL DROPOUT
A. WE NEED TO WATCH OUT FOR DROPOUTS
1. We keep an eye on the school dropout problem.
2. It’s important to us.
3. There are futures at stake.
4. There are lives at stake.
5. We also need to be aware of spiritual dropouts.
B. BIBLICAL EXAMPLES OF SPIRITUAL DROPOUTS
1. Jonah was a prophet who became a spiritual dropout . ……..when God sent him to Nineveh.
a. He tried to skip out and go to Tarshish.
b. He wound up in the belly of great fish.
c. He finally repented and finished his course.
2. Elijah became a spiritual dropout because of a ……..combination of exhaustion, loneliness, and fear (1 ……..Kings 19).
a. He sat up under a juniper tree and gave up.
b. He complained that he was the only one doing ………..anything for God.
4. John Mark was a spiritual dropout who later returned to ……..his task and became a profitable and efficient servant of ……..the Lord (Acts & 2 Tim. 4:11).
II. CAUSES OF SPIRITUAL DROPOUT
(A complete list is not possible)
Galatians 6:9 And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due . …….season we shall reap, if we faint not.
B. THE DIFFICULTY OF THE STRUGGLE
10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power … of his might. 1Put on the full armor of God so that you can .. … take your stand against the devil’s schemes……………….. ……… .be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
C. AN IMPROPER DESIRE FOR FINANCIALSUCCESS
1 Tim. 6:5-10 6Do you want to be truly rich? You already are if you are happy and good. 7After all, we didn’t bring any money with us when we came into the world, and we can’t carry away a single penny when we die. 8So we should be well satisfied without money if we have enough food and clothing. 9But people who long to be rich soon begin to do all kinds of wrong things to get money, things that hurt them and make them evil-minded and finally send them to hell itself. 10For the love of money is the first step toward all kinds of sin. Some people have even turned away from God because of their love for it, and as a result have pierced themselves with many sorrows.