Summary: Descriptions of Christians who drop out of Church.
Gal 6:9 "And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not. (KJV)
A. DEFINITION OF DROPOUT
1. A school dropout is a student who leaves a school for any reason except death before graduation or completion of a course of study and without transferring to another school.
2. A spiritual dropout is a Christian who leaves a church for any reason except death before completing their course on earth without transferring membership to another church.
B. SCHOOL DROPOUTS
1. How many of you know someone who dropped out of school?
2. Most of them don't do very well in life.
3. They struggle at finding a good job.
4. They prevent themselves from getting a college education unless they get a G.E.D.
5. Getting a G.E.D. is difficult for many of them.
C. SPIRITUAL DROPOUTS
1. Many of us also know spiritual dropouts.
2. They do not do well in their spiritual life.
3. They struggle with their purpose in life and with finding their . . proper place in life.
I. THE HAZARDS OF BEING A SPIRITUAL DROPOUT
A. WE NEED TO WATCH OUT FOR DROPOUTS
1. We keep an eye on the school dropout problem.
2. It’s important to us.
3. There are futures at stake.
4. There are lives at stake.
5. We also need to be aware of spiritual dropouts.
B. BIBLICAL EXAMPLES OF SPIRITUAL DROPOUTS
1. Jonah was a prophet who became a spiritual dropout . ……..when God sent him to Nineveh.
a. He tried to skip out and go to Tarshish.
b. He wound up in the belly of great fish.
c. He finally repented and finished his course.
2. Elijah became a spiritual dropout because of a ……..combination of exhaustion, loneliness, and fear (1 ……..Kings 19).
a. He sat up under a juniper tree and gave up.
b. He complained that he was the only one doing ………..anything for God.
4. John Mark was a spiritual dropout who later returned to ……..his task and became a profitable and efficient servant of ……..the Lord (Acts & 2 Tim. 4:11).
II. CAUSES OF SPIRITUAL DROPOUT
(A complete list is not possible)
Galatians 6:9 And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due . …….season we shall reap, if we faint not.
B. THE DIFFICULTY OF THE STRUGGLE
10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power … of his might. 1Put on the full armor of God so that you can .. … take your stand against the devil’s schemes……………….. ……… .be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
C. AN IMPROPER DESIRE FOR FINANCIALSUCCESS
1 Tim. 6:5-10 6Do you want to be truly rich? You already are if you are happy and good. 7After all, we didn’t bring any money with us when we came into the world, and we can’t carry away a single penny when we die. 8So we should be well satisfied without money if we have enough food and clothing. 9But people who long to be rich soon begin to do all kinds of wrong things to get money, things that hurt them and make them evil-minded and finally send them to hell itself. 10For the love of money is the first step toward all kinds of sin. Some people have even turned away from God because of their love for it, and as a result have pierced themselves with many sorrows.
D. UNWILLINGNESS TO FORGIVE THOSE WHO MISTREATED US
14-15Your heavenly Father will forgive you if you forgive those who sin against you; but if you refuse to forgive them, he will not forgive you
E. The Lure of pleasure of this world.
1. One of the problems of living in America is we have Everything and we want it now—Pleasures—Trucks
Cars and boats—things—when we get them we want something else==rat race that the believer must be very careful about or else it will consume you!!
III. THE COST OF BEING A SPIRITUAL DROPOUT
A. THE PERSONAL COST
1. You suffer when you neglect God’s will.
2. God isn’t looking for a reason to hurt you, but the ….devil is.
3. When you walk out from the HEDGE OFPROTECTION . .. guess who’s waiting!
4. The devil and his demons would love to lure you ………outside of God's protection so they can beat on you.
B. THE COST TO OTHERS
1. Consider those who could have been blessed by your .. life and the ministry that you could render?
2. Consider how your family will be deprived and even ….. robbed by your neglect to be the person that you are . capable of being with God's help.