Summary: Those who drop out of church tend to struggle with their purpose in life and never find their niche in the Kingdom of God.
TEXT: Gal 6:9
A. DEFINITION OF DROPOUT
1. A school dropout is a student who leaves a school for any reason except death before graduation or completion of a course of study and without transferring to another school.
2. A spiritual dropout is a Christian who leaves a church for any reason except death before completing their course on earth without transferring membership to another church.
B. SCHOOL DROPOUTS
1. How many of you know someone who dropped out of school?
2. Most of them don’t do very well in life.
3. They struggle at finding a good job.
4. They prevent themselves from getting a college education unless they get a G.E.D.
5. Getting a G.E.D. is difficult for many of them.
C. SPIRITUAL DROPOUTS
1. Many of us also know spiritual dropouts.
2. They do not do well in their spiritual life.
3. They struggle with their purpose in life and struggle with finding their proper place in life.
I. THE HAZARDS OF BEING A SPIRITUAL DROPOUT
A. WE NEED TO WATCH OUT FOR DROPOUTS
1. We keep an eye on the school dropout problem.
2. It’s important to us.
3. There are futures at stake.
4. There are lives at stake.
5. We also need to be aware of spiritual dropouts.
B. BIBLICAL EXAMPLES OF SPIRITUAL DROPOUTS
1. Jonah was a prophet who became a spiritual dropout when God sent him to Nineveh.
a. He tried to skip out and go to Tarshish.
b. He wound up in the belly of a great fish.
c. He finally repented and finished his course.
a. He sat under a juniper tree and gave up.
b. He complained that he was the only one doing anything for God.
c. Not long after I came to Bosque Farms some similar things happened here. Someone from the Daycare told me that the Daycare was the only one doing anything. Someone from the Academy said, "The Academy is the only one doing anything." Someone from the Bus Ministry said, "The bus ministry is the only one doing anything."
4. John Mark was a spiritual dropout who later returned to his task and became a profitable and efficient servant of the Lord (Acts & 2 Tim. 4:11).
II. CAUSES OF SPIRITUAL DROPOUT
(A complete list is not possible)
B. THE DIFFICULTY OF THE STRUGGLE
10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.
11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the
wiles of the devil.
C. AN IMPROPER DESIRE FOR FINANCIAL SUCCESS
1 Tim. 6:5-10
5 Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.
6 But godliness with contentment is great gain.
7 For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.
8 And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.
9 But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition.