Summary: This sermon is concerned with the problems that exist in the Christian’s life lending the need for revival.
Dr. Steven G. Cook
A. Read Text – Luke 4:38-44
B. This the 4th miracle of Jesus recorded in God’s Word.
C. The first recorded miracle (Changing Water into Wine) revealed that Jesus is “The Creator of Life”.
D. The second recorded miracle of Jesus (Healing the Nobleman’s Son) revealed that Jesus is “The Restorer of Life”.
E. The third recorded miracle (Demonic in Synagogue) revealed that Jesus is “The Healer of Life”.
F. Our text gives the story concerning the 4th miracle of Jesus – “The Healing of Peter’s Mother-in-law”.
G. There are many practical lessons for us in this story –
1. Peter had a house in Capernaum, although he was from
Bethsaida (John 1:44); Maybe he desired to be near Jesus!
2. Peter cared for his mother-in-law.
3. Sickness often comes to home of even the most faithful.
4. Jesus loved and healed her immediately..
5. Peter’s mother-in-law, after being healed, immediately served others.
6. News of the healing prompted others to bring their loved ones to Jesus.
7. Jesus loved and healed every one of them as well (v. 40).
H. These would all be good topics to preach, but I want to look at something a little different tonight concerning this passage.
I. Notice v. 38 – “And he arose out of the synagogue, and entered into Simon’s house. And Simon’s wife’s mother was taken with a GREAT FEVER; and they besought him for her.”
J. Illustration – Whenever one of our children wake up in the middle of the night with a fever, we immediately go for the Tylenol and call the doctor! We know that if the fever is left unattended, serious repercussions can occur! FEVERS are serious business!
K. May I suggest we all pay as much attention to fevers in our spiritual lives?
L. FEVERS are an indication that there is something wrong on the inside – infection has set in!
M. Many believers suffer from spiritual fevers and need a touch from the Master’s Hand.
N. That’s what REVIVAL is about! Revival is not for the Lost; it is for the Saved.
O. Let us examine 4 Aspects of Spiritual Fevers:
1. Characteristics of Spiritual Fevers
2. Causes of Spiritual Fevers
3. Consequences of Spiritual Fevers
4. Cure for Spiritual Fevers
II. Characteristics of Spiritual Fevers
A. Religious Restlessness -
1. Like a person with fever, restless and discontented, there are many believers who find no rest or contentment in serving God.
2. They become uneasy, anxious, and frustrated.
3. They try changing churches, Sunday school classes, and even denominations – this is only an outward symptom of an inward problem.
4. Paul exhorts us to “be content”… God has a way of opening doors of opportunity for us when the time is right!
B. Insistent Irritability -
1. Like a person with a fever, some believers become hard to live with because of spiritual fever.
2. Irritability is NOT a fruit of the Spirit of God!
3. However, we all know professing believers who are cranky and irritable every time you meet them.
4. This too is a symptom that there is a spiritual problem.
C. Roller-Coaster Consistency -