Summary: The Role of Faith in Spiritual Growth
Lesson 7: The Role of Faith in Spiritual Growth
“Little faith will bring your soul to heaven; great faith will bring heaven to your soul.”
Faith is the foundation of the Christian life; its importance cannot be overstated.
Faith determines our actions. We act on what we believe. Faith is everything in spiritual growth.
In Depth Study
I. What is faith?
Hebrews 11.1 “Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.”
• Complete trust in the ability of God
• Forsaking all I trust in Him
• Believing God and accepting His invitation
Hebrew 11.6 “And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.”
• Believing in the existence of God - He is.
• Believing in the character of God - He rewards.
• Faith depends upon one thing – your understanding of the nature of God
II. Why is faith important?
• Grace is God’s ability. Faith is man’s responsibility.
• Faith receives what God provides. Faith is the medium of exchange in the Kingdom of God.
• Faith is bridge between you and God.
- We are justified by faith.
Rom.5.1-2 “Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God.”
- We are sanctified by faith
Ephesians 3.17 “So that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love…”
- Our prayers are answered by faith
Mark 11.24 “Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.”
-We overcome the world by faith
1John.5.4 “For everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith.”
• Unbelief is a terrible sin. The lack of faith is not weakness it is wickedness.
1John.5.10 “Anyone who believes in the Son of God has this testimony in his heart. Anyone who does not believe God has made him out to be a liar, because he has not believed the testimony God has given about his Son.”
III. The object of our faith is God…Know Him
• Our faith must be in God.
John 14.1 “Jesus said, Let not your heart be troubled. You believe in God, believe also in me.”
Mark 11.22 “Have faith in God.”
• Faith in faith is nothing, faith in prayer is not enough, faith in leaders or church is not what God wants.
• Even the smallest of faith in God is better than no faith at all.
IV. The origin of our faith is the word of God…Hear Him
• If you expect your prayers to be answered, you should pray in the will of God. To know the will of God, you should hear the Word.
Romans 10.17 “Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God.”
Word = Rhema = Specific revelation
Logos = General revelation
Written word – Bible
Spoken word –
Living Word – Jesus
• We should have a relationship with the Living Word through the Written Word. Then it will speak to you.