Summary: What you see as normal betrays your spiritual condition
Sermon: Spiritual Numbness
King James Version (KJV)
29 So we boiled my son, and did eat him: and I said unto her on the next day, Give thy son, that we may eat him: and she hath hid her son.
Key words in my text:
Numbness is the loss of sensation of a part or whole of the body. It is usually associated with Paresthesia.
• Decadence of Israel and Judah culminating in their captivity
• Failure on the part of King and people
• Backsliding and idolatry
• 308 years
• Compiled by Jeremiah from records by Nathan, Gad and others
• The starts during the ministry of Elijah
• This particular verse is during the ensuing ministry of Elisha
Causes of numbness:
Chronic paresthesia indicates a problem with the functioning of neurons.
In older individuals, paresthesia is often the result of poor circulation in the limbs most often caused by the build up of plaque within artery walls, over decades, with eventual plaque ruptures, internal clots over the ruptures and subsequent clot healing but leaving behind narrowing of the artery openings or closure, both locally and in downstream smaller branches. Without a proper supply of blood and nutrients, nerve cells can no longer adequately send signals to the brain. Paresthesia can also be a symptom of vitamin deficiency and malnutrition, as well as metabolic disorders.
The signal is sent but does not reach the processing centre.
2 Women connived to boil their babies and eat them.
How could this be?
There was a severe famine and no food available.
How hungry is that?
God has created a very strong love between a mother and a child.
To touch a woman meddle with her children
Illustration: My Dad could not go0 to school because Grand dad used his school fees to marry a second wife
We were Hungry
Illustration: During the war Dogs would feed on human bodies BUT
• You do not know what you are made of until you have been tried
• You do not know who you are dealing with until there is a crisis
Zimbabwean Double prong:
People would eat muddy soil normally reserved for worms
Blame it on the drought
• Here the appetite had become so severe that they decided to do the unthinkable( the King was so shocked he rent his clothes in horror)
o Her skirt was too short so I raped her
o He was so persistent I gave in
3 lusts 1John 2:16
International Standard Version (©2008)
For everything that is in the world-the desire for fleshly gratification, the desire for possessions, and worldly arrogance-is not from the Father but is from the world.
• Do not trust someone who has not been tested and prevailed
• Our friends and social circles affect our values. It is highly likely these women were single mothers and most likely immoral and illegitimate mothers
• You can get so used to low moral standards you are not ashamed to parade your vales publicly. They saw nothing wrong in consulting the King’s court with their problem, and may have been surprised at his reaction.
• Control your appetites and subdue the lust of the flesh in good times as hardship can only amplify your lack of self control (Galatians 5:22)
New American Standard Bible (©1995)
For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin.
I do not know about you but
I am not there yet
I need forgiveness
My prayer life
Faithfulness in tithing
How I see others
My respect for authority
My burden for the lost
Relations with My extended family
Friendships (Bodies within the bodies)