Summary: We have an enemy who wants to stop us from serving teh Lord. What provisions has God made to help us stand firm. A look at teh armor of God and how are to use it will help us understand that we are equipped to stand firm and resist Satan.
I want to talk with you about a very serious matter
- I know we are all striving to find our place
- In God’s community
- We are all looking to follow Christ as best we can
- But the very fact that we, this community of believers
- Has caught a glimpse
- Of what God is doing in our midst
- And are developing a hunger to know Him
- And serve Him better
- Means we have to be aware
- That Satan will not sit by and let it happen
- He will throw obstacles in our way
- Attempt to stir up trouble for individuals and the body
- He will try to cause us to pull back
- And become dull, compliant people
- Content with the status quo
- He will do his best to sidetrack us
- And to discourage us
Now maybe you didn’t realize it when you came to Christ
- But you enlisted in an army
- The Army of God
- And have been called to the front lines
- Of a continuing struggle against principalities and powers of darkness
- Who control the world system we live in
- We are caught up in spiritual warfare
Unlike the soldiers who are fighting in Afghanistan
- We don’t hear bombs bursting in the distance
- Or hear bullets zinging past us
- We don’t see bayonets of our enemy flashing in the sun
- But still we are on a battlefield
- Every day of our lives
- Satan takes aim at us
- As a body of believers and as individuals
- He knows where we are weak
- And he uses his knowledge to his advantage
- He sets traps and snares for us
- To trip up and to destroy us
The problem we have though is we forget all too often the dangerous business we are about
- No one knocks on our doors to arrest us for our faith
- No one threatens our jobs or families
- Just because we are Christians
- That day may be coming
- But Satan has determined to destroy us and the church
- He knows his end is at hand
- And he wants to take us down with him
What are we to do?
- Even as we experience the attacks of the devil
- We can stand firm
- We can find refuge and strength to resist
- But we cannot do it on our own
- We need to attend God’s basic training
- To learn how to be a good soldier
- And how to use the armor and weapons God has given us
- To see His victory won
Turn with me to Eph 6:10-20
10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might.
11 Put on the full armor of God, so that you will be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil.
12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places.
13 Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm.
14 Stand firm therefore, HAVING GIRDED YOUR LOINS WITH TRUTH, and HAVING PUT ON THE BREASTPLATE OF RIGHTEOUSNESS,
15 and having shod YOUR FEET WITH THE PREPARATION OF THE GOSPEL OF PEACE;
16 in addition to all, taking up the shield of faith with which you will be able to extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one.
17 And take THE HELMET OF SALVATION, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.