Summary: We know how to make intercessions for others. But is it alright to pray for my needs as well.
Standing in the Need of Prayer
I. Pastor – parrot
A. all would say, “Let’s pray, let’s pray.”
1. Pastor tried to teach parrot to say other things but to no avail
B. Pastor learned that a Deacon had a parrot
1. Deacon’s parrot would only say, “Let’s kiss. Let’s kiss.”
C. Pastor invited Deacon and parrot to house
1. Put parrots in same cage to see what would happen
2. Deacon’s parrot said, “Let’s kiss, let’s kiss.”
3. Pastor’s parrot said, “Thank you, Lord. My prayers have been answered.”
D. Prayer is one of most neglected spiritual disciplines
1. Sometimes pray before meals and when called upon to pray
2. Pray when things are bad
3. We fail to pray unceasingly
4. I Thess. 5:16-18 “Be joyful always, pray continually; give thanks in all
circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.”
E. Why neglect to pray?
1. Maybe we feel that God knows anyways, so why pray?
F. God wants us to pray
G. Great power in prayer
H. One of the most important activities a Christian can do
I. Prayer is possible for every child of God
1. We cannot all pastor but we all can pray.
2. We cannot all give large sums of money, but we can all pray.
3. We cannot all go to the mission field, but we can all pray.
4. We cannot all teach a class, but we can all pray.
II. When call someplace – talk a real person, not computer answering
A. As we pray, we hear
1. Thank you for calling heaven, your call may be monitored for quality control.
2. Please select one of the following options…
a. Press 1 for prayer requests
b. Press 2 for prayers of thanksgiving
c. Press 3 for prayers containing complaints
d. Press 4 for all other prayers
3. I’m sorry; all of our angels are busy helping others right now.
However, your prayers are important and will be answered in the order
received, so please stay on the line.
4. If you would like to leave a voice mail message for:
a. God, press 1 now
b. Jesus, press 2 now
c. the Holy Spirit, press 3 now
5. If you would like to hear the King David Singers sing a Psalm while you are
holding, please press 4 now
6. To find out if a loved one has been assigned to heaven, please enter their
Social Security number (without dashes), then press the # key.
If you get a negative response try again using area code 666.
7. For reservations please dial 5646-316 (John 3:16)
8. For nagging questions about dinosaurs, the real age of the earth,
where Noah’s Ark is, and any other questions, please wait until you arrive.
9. Our computers indicate that you have already prayed once today.
Please hang up and try again tomorrow.
The office is closed on weekends, and any State or Federal holiday.
Please pray again between 9am and 5pm EST Monday – Friday.
If you need emergency assistance when this office is closed, contact
your local pastor.
B. Isn’t good to know when we pray that we don’t come away upset, like
Most computer assistance answering systems make most of us