Summary: There is a word here for us as well! • There will be times when things appear hopeless. • times when/shattered pieces/our dreams will lie around us.
Pastor Allan Kircher
Shell Point Baptist Church
Jan 5th, 2014
Standing out in the kingdom
“There are two great days/person’s life - the day we are born and the day we discover why.”
• One is easier than the other.
• One is a date in time.
• October 4 or March 29/February 12/September
• Moment you celebrate every year
• Date when you made your first public appearance.
• That date is easy/The other one isn’t.
It’s probably not a literal date at all.
• Moment you finally figured out why God put/planet earth.
• Reason/joined seven billion other people on this ball of dirt floating through space.
• First day explains/presence/earth/second explains/purpose.
Often it takes a long time to discover why you were born.
• She was born/mother/play baseball/senator.
• She was born to help the homeless.
• He was born to lead a nation.
• What were you born to do? That’s a hard question.
You’ll spend the rest of your life trying to answer it.
“Lord, what do you want me to do?”
Proverbs 3:5-6 promises that….
Here are seven fundamental facts about God’s guidance:
• Put you exactly where he wants you to be.
• arrange all the details years in advance
• open doors that seem shut tight
• Remove any obstacle in your way.
• take your choices and fit them into his plan that you end up at the right place at just the right time
• even take your mistakes and bring good out of them
• Take tragedy and use it for your good and his glory.
This is what Proverbs 16:9 means when it says “in his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps.”
Ask you a crucial question: Do you know why you were born?
• Sometimes we find our calling early.
• Often the revelation doesn’t come until late in life.
• Sometimes others see it before we do.
• Often the circumstances of life reveal it to us.
I am thinking of a man who fits that last category.
• Never knew his purpose for many years of his adult life.
• only after a series of events unfolded
• nearly all of them outside his control
• many of them quite painful
• The plan of God for his life became evident.
• Joseph, however, is so different he literally stands out
I. v. 2 THE PURITY OF JOSEPH’S LIFE
One of the most striking ways Joseph was different was in the purity of his life.
• Every time you see Joseph, he is doing the right thing
• Made him very different from his brothers.
• Purity/integrity/desire/right things/marked the life of Joseph.
V 2 brings us face to face/holy heart/beats within/chest of Joseph.
• Told/Joseph/tending/his father’s sheep
• With his half-brothers, the sons of Bilhah and Zilpah.