Summary: The present state of the church lends itself to the need to assess, agree and act.
State of the Church Address: Assess ? Agree ? Act
This local body of believers known as Trinity Baptist Church has been allowed to exist for 30.5 years, and I have had the privilege and blessing to be the pastor of this body for the past 11.5 years.
Each has a place and purpose of being here. God has called and planned for you and I to work together corporately for the glory of His Kingdom for the distinct purpose of sharing the good news of His Son Jesus Christ.
To this end may you and I live. But like any organized effort we at times experience lows and highs as well as periods of zeal as well as stagnation.
I bring to you the family of Trinity Baptist Church a message I have titled, ?State of the Church Address.? The intent is not a play on words but a hope that our hearts will be encouraged.
We, as the Church are living in times that are strenuous and yet strengthening.
Rick Warren speaks to these times to say ?It is safe to say that you will face in 2002, new problems and new pressures, but also new possibilities.?
I like the thought of facing new possibilities ? it?s intriguing and stimulating.
I am encouraged as to what this year holds for us in such realms as worship, fellowship, service, discipleship and evangelism.
So for these days to become times of strengthening we must be have the ?
· Confidence to Assess our time, talents and treasures.
· Conviction to Agree about the direction we must travel together.
· Courage to Act in the present and for the future.
1. The Confidence to Assess
Assess: to determine the value; significance; or extent of: to appraise
This past week Val and I, like many other residents of Willow Springs received in the mail the ?2002 Personal Assessment List? for personal property taxes for Howell County.
It is nice to think they want to keep in touch with me!
After receiving it I thought to myself ?
· I could ignore it.
· I could throw it away.
· I could give false information.
Or I could make an honest assessment ? no matter how much it costs me.
I believe we must make an assessment of
· who we are,
· what are we doing
· how we are doing it.
Now we can ignore it, throw it away or even give false information. Or we can make an honest assessment.
Haggai 1:5-7 Now therefore, thus says the LORD of hosts: "Consider your ways! 6 "You have sown much, and bring in little; You eat, but do not have enough; You drink, but you are not filled with drink; You clothe yourselves, but no one is warm; And he who earns wages, Earns wages to put into a bag with holes." 7 Thus says the LORD of hosts: "Consider your ways!
The lament of Haggai?s day was to the people who were constructing their own lives and leaving the temple of God un-constructed.
The voice of God through this prophet calls for the people to consider ? to make an assessment of their lives and how unfulfilling they are at times.
To us ? as individuals the call is to make assessment.
· our sowing & reaping ? sow and bring in little. (Gal 6:9)
· our hunger & thirst ? eat and drink but not filled. (Mt 5:6)
· our seeking status ? clothe yourself but no one is warm. (Mt 6:31-32)
· Our serving ? earn wages put in bag with holes. (Mt 6:24)
Our assessment take into consideration ? how are we doing in ?
· Evangelism ? are we telling of the good news?
· Discipleship ? are we teaching others to live like and for Christ?
· Service ? are we serving God, others and one another?
· Fellowship ? are we living in love and unity?
· Worship ? are we focusing on God?s worth?
The assessment ? we need not ignore it, throw it away or deal with it falsely ? let?s be honest to say there is a cost involved and we need to consider our ways.
2. The Conviction to Agree
Agree: to come into or be in accord, as of an opinion; to come to an understanding
Amos 3:3 NLT Can two people walk together without agreeing on the direction?
From confident assessment we must come to the conviction to agree ? that is to walk together ? knowing we are all in this together.
· What is the direction of TBC?
· Are we walking together or taking different directions?
· Is your agenda my agenda?
· Do they align with one another for the glory of God?