Summary: n this sermon outline we list the reasons and ways that we can be fruitful and receive the blessings of the Lord and some of the ways we can and will grow to be more like HIM.
STEPS TO CHRISTIAN MATURITY BY GROWING THROUGH THE WORD!
In this sermon outline we list the reasons and ways that we can be fruitful and receive the blessings of the Lord and some of the ways we can and will grow to be more like HIM.
1 Pet 2:2 As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby
Eph 4:11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; Eph 4:12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: Eph 4:13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
I. We are to be like Jesus and this can come about as we live the Word of God.
1. My wife sings a song 'To be like Jesus is all that I ask." It should be our prayer too.
2. Grow up in Him!
Eph 4:14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
Eph 4:15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:
3. We never are supposed to stop growing.
a. Some times we go through the valley or through dry places but if we wait on the Lord He will give us the times of refreshing. We do not want to be 'cry babies'.
b. We want to be strong in Christ. (Eph 6:10 KJV) Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.
II. WE NEED TO GROW IN HIS GRACE!
2 Pet 3:18 But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.
1. We are to keep growing in His knowledge.
2. Keep growing in His Grace.
III. There steps I believe that will lead us into CHRISTIAN MATURITY AND GROWTH that will make us fruitful.
1. Exposure to the scriptures is revealed through teaching, preaching, films, examples, good works, conversations, healing, answers to prayers, or any means you are able to see the benefits of a mature relationship with Christ.
a. A closed mind impedes our ability to see the entire will of God.
b. We need to keep our hearts open to God, His Word and the working of the Holy Spirit.
c. We should assemble ourselves often with God's people.
(Heb 10:25 KJV) Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
2.We must be Aware of the presence of the Lord!
Matthew 28:20 ........ and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
a. He will NEVER, NEVER, NEVER leave us
1. We often hear the expression "The Holy Spirit fell in the service." Or that the "Power of God was in our service." What happens is that we become aware of His presence. He is always there, but that happens is when we open our hearts (expose our hearts) to Him, we become AWARE of His presence and Spirit.
2. He is there all the time.
3. An old Chorus we once sang was:
Standing somewhere in the shadows you'll find Jesus,
He's the Friend who always cares and understands.
Standing somewhere in the shadows you will find Him
And you'll know Him by the nail prints in His hands.
4. We need to just look He is always there.
3. WE NEED TO HAVE OPEN HEARTS TO RECEIV E!
a. All of God's gifts are good, just like His Word.
(James 1:17 KJV) Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.
B. We should ask God to give us open hearts. One of the 3 things I tell people in Church, Seminars or Bible Training Schools is to pray "God give me ears to hear, mind to understand and a heart to believe the Word of God."
4. We need to be involved in Gods Work!
b. When believers are involved in Gods' Work and Church they will grow and mature. I am sorry to say that in some of the 'Super Churches' that some people go only to hide and not be involved.