Summary: In Sermon 5A of the series, we look at wrong thinking as a reason for lost joy. It is amazing how much the Bible talks about proper thinking! In this first segment we consider what the Bible says can come from the human heart (reasoning, thinking).
What am I Missing Here?
Steps to Recovering Your Joy
February 13, 2011
Calvary Baptist Church
SERMON 5A: Stinking Thinking, Part I: “Out of the Heart”
What am I missing here? What is wrong with me? Why am I not finding joy in the Lord?
• First, may I say to you, that it is good that you have noticed this.
• It is only by the Holy Spirit’s work in your life that you even care.
• Furthermore, it is a good sign of genuine conversion.
• For the lost man or woman, there is no thought of this.
• To them, they are just fine and see no need of the question.
• But to you, whose spirits resonate with this preacher’s question, you know that something is missing.
• You see in the faces, in the lives of others, a light, a joy, a power.
• And as you honestly evaluate yourself, you must admit that you do not have this light, this joy, this power!
REVIEW OF PREVIOUS SERMONS
1) Dispositions differ
2) Emotions are not the test of our spiritual state.
• #1: FAILURE TO DISTINGUISH BETWEEN HIS STANDING (OR POSITION IN CHRIST) AND HIS CIRCUMSTANCES.
• #2: PERHAPS YOU LIVE TOO MUCH IN YOUR FEELINGS, TOO LITTLE IN YOUR WILL.
• #3: PERHAPS YOU HAVE DISOBEYED SOME CLEAR COMMAND
• #4: PERHAPS YOU LOOK TOO MUCH INWARD ON SELF, INSTEAD OF OUTWARD ON THE LORD JESUS
• TODAY: WE BEGIN SECTION 5 OF THE OVERALL SERIES. I HAVE ENTITLED THIS PORTION, “STINKING THINKING.” WRONG ACTIONS FOLLOW WRONG FEELINGS WHICH FOLLOW WRONG THOUGHTS.
NOTE: THE FOCUS OF THIS MESSAGE WILL BE THE WRONG THINKING OF A BELIEVER. TIME DOES NOT PERMIT MUCH DISCUSSION OF THE WRONG THINKING OF THE UNSAVED MAN. NOR IS THE MESSAGE ABOUT THE VALUE OF THINKING BEFORE SPEAKING, ACTING, ETC. IT IS NOT ABOUT THE THOUGHT LIFE, PER SE. IT IS ABOUT THE WRONG THOUGHTS THAT AFFECT OUR WELL-BEING, OUR RELATIONSHIPS WITH GOD AND OTHERS, ETC. SINCE I AM STARTING THIS ON THE SUNDAY BEFORE VALENTINE’S DAY, I WILL PREACH ON THE “OUT OF THE HEART” THEME. THAT WILL BE MESSAGE 5A. THEN I WILL PREACH ON THE IMPORTANCE OF OUR THOUGHTS IN 5B. 5 C WILL MOVE TO THE INSTANCES OF WRONG THOUGHTS ABOUT GOD, OTHERS, AND OURSELF. WE WILL CONCLUDE THE SERIES BY COVERING PHILIPPIANS 4 I HAVE COMBINED SEVERAL STARTER SERMONS INTO THIS ONE, SO IGNORE THE OTHERS.
HERE ARE SOME RESOURCES
Logos – Elwell, Topical Analysis
Logos – MacArthur Topical
Logos – Thematic Bible and Passage Register
Wordsearch – POSB Master Index
See both “Thinking” and “Mind”
SC.COM See Tony Bazen (under thoughts, thinking) on Sermon Central. “It’s the Thought that Counts”
Wordsearch - SEE QUICK REFERENCES FOR COUNSELING UNDER “TRUST, FAITH IN GOD”
Part 1: Introduction – “Out of the Heart” (for Valentine’s Day)
Part 2: The Importance of Right Thinking
SERMON ONE (SERIES 5A)
“OUT OF THE HEART”
ILLUS: Brian Noblitt on the day we opened the new addition. Our septic system didn’t have enough capacity for the added toilets and sinks. The toilet downstairs overflowed. That was a stinking mess. So can our thoughts stink!