Summary: An application to John 8:1-10
I went out and gathered small flat stones to pass out to the church.
Also I dressed in blue jeans and a nice shirt. (I normally dress in a coat and tie).
When you are in a conservative church jeans are a big deal.
This is just some Ideas. Preach it!
Stone Throwing in Church
I want to hand out this morning, a touchable illustration.
Yes they are rocks. Each person please take one.
They have been washed so they should not get you dirty.
I have noticed that some of you have noticed that I have dressed differently this morning.
Some have already drawn conclusions:
1. He has gone off the deep end
2. We should have never voted him in.
3. When I get out of here I am never coming back!
4. What kind of preacher does he think he is?
Others may be thinking something else:
1. Cool preacher
2. Can’t wait to hear this one
3. Love it when I can apply something to my life.
4. Finally found the place where I am not criticized.
Our visitors are going through some thoughts also:
1. I wonder what he is going to do, dressed like that?
2. Will he answer the questions I have brought with me?
3. Does he always dress like this?
I want to answer most of this with a message that has helped me out in my personal walk.
I. Notice The Four People/Groups Here
1. Jesus came to the Temple to be with the people and teach them
a. vs.2 Jesus did not stand out in a crowd because of what he was wearing but rather how he impacted their lives.
2. The Scribes and Pharisees.
a. They came to Church to accuse
b. To question Jesus’ authority
c. To cause contention.
3. The Woman caught in the act of adultery.
a. Guilty [caught in the act]
b. Humiliated [stood before the crowd]
c. Condemned [that was the law]
4. The people watching
a. Silent [did not want to answer or did not know how to answer]
II. Notice The Law
Lev. 20: 10 And the man that committeth adultery with another man’s wife, even he that committeth adultery with his neighbour’s wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death.
A. Legalists always have the answer they are looking for.
1. Where was the man?
2. Could it be she was set up, to trap another?
B. If there is no room for forgiveness then the Bible is a lie!
III. Notice The Statement From Jesus
A. The statement is intended to be used for self-examination.
1. When was the last time you looked down at someone and never thought for a moment about what you were before Christ came in and gave you new life?
2. Guilty! Ready to pick up the almighty stone and condemn without realizing we should have been condemned for what we are guilty of.
B. Jesus was the only one worthy to pick up the stone.
IV. Notice What Happened To Her Accusers
A. One by one they left.
B. Convicted by their own conscience
C. Had to get out before the crown turned on them
V. See The Forgiveness Of A Great God
A. Did not indorse the sin. In fact he said, “Go and sin NO more.”
B. She went out forgiven. You too can do the same.