Summary: Preparation for church revival
STONES IN HEAPS OF RUBBISH
Theme Scriptures: Nehemiah 4:1- 2
1 But it came to pass, that when Sanballat heard that we builded the wall, he was wroth, and took great indignation, and mocked the Jews. 2 And he spake before his brethren and the army of Samaria, and said, What do these feeble Jews? will they fortify themselves? will they sacrifice? will they make an end in a day? will they revive the stones out of the heaps of the rubbish which are burned?
Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.
I. A COMPARISON OF STONES
A. In Rubbish
Define Rubbish: Dry earth, dust, powder, rubbish, ashes, morter
B. Lively Stones
Define Lively: to live, breathe, be among the living, lively
C. We are the Stones
II. MUCH RUBBISH Nehemiah 4:10
And Judah said, The strength of the bearers of burdens is decayed, and there is much rubbish; so that we are not able to build the wall.
A. Strength is Decayed by Bearing the Burden of Rubbish
Ministers and lay-people have been wearied by much rubbish.
B. Rubbish Prevents the Building of Walls
1. Broken Walls allow the Enemy to attack and slay - Neh 4:11
And our adversaries said, They shall not know, neither see, till we come in the midst among them, and slay them, and cause the work to cease
2. Broken Walls can cause the Work to cease.
3. Broken Walls allow the Enemy (World) to mock
III. REVIVE THE STONES AND BUILD THE WALLS AND THE HOUSE Haggai 1: 1 -8
A. They say, "The time is not come." - Haggai 1:2
Thus speaketh the LORD of hosts, saying, This people say, The time is not come, the time that the LORD'S house should be built.
1. We don't have time for revival
2. We don't have enough dedication for revival
3. We don't have enough sanctification for revival
B. The Lord said, "Is it time for you?" - Haggai 1: 4
Is it time for you, O ye, to dwell in your cieled houses, and this house lie waste?
C. Consider your ways - There is much rubbish among the stones.
From the Pulpit to the Pews, there is much rubbish among the stones.
1. Our concerns are with our house, not the Lord's House.
2. Our concerns are with our private space/ideas/grudges/resentments/etc.
We have private agendas and goals that are rubbish.
3. Our lack of spiritual concern limits our reaping.
a. Naturally -Eat, Drink, Clothing, Wages - A bag with holes
b. Spiritually - Limited move of God
- Sinners have no interest - No Drawing Power
- Souls are rarely saved when the House is not strongly
fashioned and the walls built ; too much energy
is spent just bearing the rubbish from among the
stones and we are too weary to give birth; we miscarry instead.
- Saints struggle to fight off the Enemy and bear the rubbish
4. Turn Again Lamentations 3:40
Let us search and try our ways, and turn again to the LORD.
IV. GO TO THE MOUNTAIN
A. The Mountain almost always means prayer, devotion, dedication, and isolation
B. Great Men Who Went to the Mountain
1. Moses went to the Mountain
a. Mt. Horeb
- The Mountain of God
- v. 5 The Mountain is Holy Ground and Demands a Holy Life
And he said, Draw not nigh hither: put off thy shoes from off thy feet, for the place whereon thou standest is holy ground.
Psalms 48:1 The Mountain of His Holiness
(A Song and Psalm for the sons of Korah.) Great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised in the city of our God, in the mountain of his holiness.
Heaps of Rubbish instead of Holiness
b. Exodus 20:18
And all the people saw the thunderings, and the lightnings, and the noise of the trumpet, and the mountain smoking: and when the people saw it, they removed, and stood afar off.
Israel stood afar off- heaps of rubbish in their lives -Unclean
2. Elijah went to the Mountain - Mt. Horeb - I Kings 19:8
"And he arose, and did eat and drink, and went in the strength of that
meat forty days and forty nights unto Horeb the mount of God."
3. Jesus went to the Mountain - The Mount of Transfiguration
Mountain experiences will transform your life as you pray.
And as he prayed, the fashion of his countenance was altered, and his raiment was white and glistering.
C. You can
1. Get wood in the mountain Haggai 1:8
"Go up to the mountain, and bring wood, and build the house; and I will