Summary: This is a sermon on Thomas. A play on the word Didymus Means twin. And using the Illustration from Austin Powers Mini me (The unbelieving side of us) I am sure this is not original as many have preach on this message at some time or the other.
Stop Doubting and Believe
- Do you believe in miracles? Do you believe in honest-to-goodness, old-fashioned acts of God?
- Of all Gods Miracles this is the BEST.
- People have asked me have I seen Miracles before. My answer is YES!
-Besides seeing His physical power I see Life and those that come to know Jesus as a miracle.
-Man has no problem with understanding the Cross and Crucifixion. Resurrection it tales the eyes of God to see that.
a. He was a twin. (Didymus Means twin)
1. There is not much about Thomas. We don’t know where he came from but we do know or think because of the Dudymus title he was a twin.
2. I want to get all spiritual and look at this from a different angle. Inside of each of us we have a believing part and an unbelieving part. Metaphorically you could say twin me.
3. I have never watched any of the Austin Power movies but I like the picture of a mini me. One big and one Small
a. Which of is the believing part and which is the unbelieving
Matt 8: 23 – 26 And when he got into the boat, his disciples followed him. 24And behold, there arose a great storm on the sea, so that the boat was being swamped by the waves; but he was asleep. 25And they went and woke him, saying, “Save us, Lord; we are perishing.” 26And he said to them, “Why are you afraid, O you of little faith?” Then he rose and rebuked the winds and the sea, and there was a great calm.
b. A man of courage.
1. He gets a bad rap when we think of him we think of his doubt
a. John 11. Lazarus has died in Bethany—a suburb of Jerusalem. Before this they (Religious leaders tried to kill Jesus)
b. When Jesus decides to go to Bethany, his disciples tell him it would be suicidal to go back.
1. Thomas says a brief word John 11:16 “Let us go also, that we may die with him”
a. Most Texans see this as sarcasm
2. Maybe he remembered Lk 17:33 Whosoever shall seek to gain his life shall lose it: but whosoever shall lose his life shall preserve it.
2. He did not accept easy answers.
John 14:1-4 Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father’s house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place I am going
a. I think none of the twelve knew what Jesus was speaking of but were afraid to ask.
b. Lord, we don’t know where you are going, so how can we know the way?
II. The Resurrection question
a. We forget what it must have been like for the followers. Remember they were in fear of their lives.
1. If I had been there would I have believed or doubted. They had seen him beaten and crucified just scant days earlier. And rising from the dead is not common!!
2. I wonder why they had not thought that just a few weeks earlier they had seen Jesus resurrect Lazarus
3. So the women go to the tomb Luke 24:1-6 But on the first day of the week, at early dawn, they went to the tomb, taking the spices they had prepared. 2 And they found the stone rolled away from the tomb, 3 but when they went in they did not find the body of the Lord Jesus. 4 While they were perplexed about this, behold, two men stood by them in dazzling apparel. 5 And as they were frightened and bowed their faces to the ground, the men said to them, “Why do you seek the living among the dead? 6He is not here, but has risen.