Summary: 1. We all go through storms 2 They Had Set Out With Christ 3 His Presence on Board is no Guarantee of Perpetual Calm 4. The Storm Does Not Mean That He Has Left Us. 5. Do Not Lose Faith If He Seems Calmly Indifferent.
1. We have gone through two storms these last 2 weeks
- Lost of power & have snow because of Sandy – 10/29/12
- Sandy dumped 3’ wet snow
- 270,000 people lost power
- 6 people in WV have died
- John Rose, 60, a Republican candidate killed by falling tree
- It could take at least six months to clear fallen trees in some areas.
- As of Fri. Nov 9 - 12,000 still without power
- 11/6/12 - An election that for many did not turn out right
• Victoria Jackson - The former Saturday Night Live comedienne -"I can't stop crying America died."
• Donald Trump - We can't let this happen. We should march on Washington and stop this travesty. Our nation is totally divided
- Now we are into big government
- Never before have more people been dependent upon government for having their needs met.
- Today, we have second- and third-generation welfare recipients; unemployment benefits are all that’s keeping our economy afloat
- Social Security is often the sole retirement fund of the elderly; - Americans depend on Medicare for their healthcare…and the list goes on.
Alexander Tytler (1747 - 1813) Scottish lawyer, writer, professor and historrian, from the University of Edinburgh.
The average age of the world’s greatest civilizations from the beginning of history, has been about 200 years.
The Tytler Cycle
• From bondage to spiritual faith
• From spiritual faith to great courage;
• From courage to liberty;
• From liberty to abundance;
• From abundance to complacency;
• From complacency to apathy;
• From apathy to dependence;
• From dependence back into bondage.
- Do you know Jesus?
- I did not say, Do you know about Jesus
- I said do you know him.
- What evidence can you give in your life that you know him?
The Disciple Could Say that They Knew About Him
Mk. 1:16 – He came to them
Mk. 1:23 – They saw demons caste out
Mk. 1:30 – Peter’s mother-in-law healed
Mk. 1:40 – Leaper Healed
Mk. 2:1 – Lame man healed
Mk. 2:19 – Heard Stories Bridegroom
Mk. 2:21 - New Cloth
Mk 2:22 - Wine bottles
Mk. 3:1 – Withered Hand Healed
Mk. 3:14 - He Ordained Them
Mk 4:1, 10, 30 – He taught them
- But did they know Him
- What evidence could they give personally?
- Jn 9:25 – Blind Man – “One thing I know…..”
Now From Knowledge To Experience – Mk.4:35
2 They Had Set Out With Christ.
- PRIVILEGED- He was on board with them
- Here we are sailing on the ocean of life
- Heading for the shores of Eternity.
- Is He on board your frail boat?
- Note "There were other little ships"
- Near Him but not on board. - What became of them in the storm?
- GET HIM IN CALM AS THESE DISCIPLES DID.
- I laughed when I heard 2’ of snow coming
- I prepared anyway
- If the storm is raging be assured He is within hailing distance.
3 His Presence on Board is no Guarantee of Perpetual Calm
1. We might think all would be calm but it was not.
2. Could have been the Devil was trying to get rid of Jesus.