Summary: Disclaiming self power and giving glory to God for his strength, soundness and refreshing
Strong, sound and refreshed
11. Now as the lame man who was healed held on to Peter and John, all the people ran together to them in the porch which is called Solomon’s, greatly amazed.
12 ¶ so when Peter saw it, he responded to the people: "Men of Israel, why do you marvel at this? Or why look so intently at us, as though by our own power or godliness we had made this man walk?
13. "The God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, the God of our fathers, glorified His Servant Jesus, whom you delivered up and denied in the presence of Pilate, when he was determined to let Him go.
14. "But you denied the Holy One and the Just, and asked for a murderer to be granted to you,
15. "And killed the Prince of life, whom God raised from the dead, of which we are witnesses.
16. "And His name, through faith in His name, has made this man strong, whom you see and know. Yes, the faith which comes through Him has given him this perfect soundness in the presence of you all.
Purpose is to give Jesus the glory for strength, soundness and our refreshing.
Introduction: This is the story of the lame man who sat at the gate beautiful asking alms as people entered into the temple.
As Peter and John went up to the temple to pray he sat there asking for help.
6. Then Peter said, "Silver and gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, rise up and walk."
7. And he took him by the right hand and lifted him up, and immediately his feet and ankle bones received strength.
The people who witnessed this thought that Peter and John had done this great miracle. Peter who witnessed the resurrection of Christ is now witnessing the power of the risen Christ.
Everything we come through is a witness for believing in the name of Jesus. One of the first noted miracles after the resurrection, down in the name of Jesus:
I purpose three things that your faith in Jesus name will accomplish.
14 ¶ Afterward he appeared unto the eleven as they sat at meat, and upbraided them with their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they believed not them which had seen him after he was risen.
15. And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
16. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
17. And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
18. They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
We are made strong in his name. Through faith this man was made strong.
Strong- solidify, establish, confirm, receive strength
Peter says here take my hand- and the beggar reached out in Jesus name. It was As though Christ was there in person but working through a man of faith.
10 ¶ finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. (Both physical and spiritual available)