Summary: Part two of a series dealing with things that hinder our prayer life
HINDRANCES TO PRAYER
LESSON #2: STUBBORNNESS
TEXT: ZECH. 7:11-13
What was our lesson last week?
What is disobedience towards God?
What does sin do?
It separates us from God
What is the danger of allowing sin into our hearts?
We will be left to fight our battles on our own.
The danger is that many times the crisis hits so far down the line we forgot what the issue was that has separated us from God to begin with.
11 But they refused to hearken, and pulled away the shoulder, and stopped their ears, that they should not hear.
12 Yea, they made their hearts as an adamant stone, lest they should hear the law, and the words which the LORD of hosts hath sent in his spirit by the former prophets: therefore came a great wrath from the LORD of hosts.
13 Therefore it is come to pass, that as he cried, and they would not hear; so they cried, and I would not hear, saith the LORD of hosts:
This is a story in the old testament of a people who would not listen to God.
- Would not follow His will
- Would not take His direction
- His advice
They refused to listen to Him
They refused to listen to His prophets
They thought they had a better way
It is a picture of a people who would not go near a prophet
- Tried to stay out of ear shot
- Tried to stay out of their neighborhood
If they did hear or if they were told,
they purposed in their heart not to do it
- They refused to harken
- They looked the other way
- They would act as if they could not hear
Looks a lot like our society today
Reminds me of some of the outreaches I have been on
- They ignore me
- They act as if I am not there
Ever had that happen to you?
- They see you from a distance
- They know what you are about
(Backsliders notorious for this)
- So they take the long way around
- They do not want to hear what you have to say
We have all seen this and come to expect it from the world.
But I want to bring it a little closer to home.
It may not be as obvious.
But the same thing happens in church all the time.
- They sit in their favorite chair
- The sermon starts
- Soon as you hit some hot licks
- Soon as the Holy Spirit lays one in their lap
- They try to turn you off
All of a sudden
- They have to clip their nails
- They need to re-lace their shoes
- Check on their kid in nursery
- Write a letter
This is a spirit of stubbornness
When you close your ears to a message of truth and refuse to change, that is stubbornness.
You are saying I don’t want to hear this
- I don’t receive that pastor
- I am not listening so I am not responsible
- That’s not for me
You sit in church week after week.
Developing bad attitudes towards God and the church.
They hold on to this stubborn spirit.
Then they want to know why God hasn’t answered their prayers
Sometimes you want to slap them upside the head and say, duuuu,
or grab them by the shoulders and shake some sense into them.
Maybe you need to try to listen to God first.
Then we have another group of people who say they want to do the right thing but never actually do it.