Summary: This is a study of chapter 14 in the book of Revelation. This is a controversial subject but takes a conservative approach to understanding the book.
Note: I used many sources to study this book, one of my favorites is Revelation: God’s Word for the Biblically-Inept by Daymond Duck and some out of different study bibles.
Title: Triumph of God’s people
Text: Revelation 14
John Calvin said," I would rather be on the side that seems to be losing today but will win finally than to be on the side that seems to be winning today but is going to lose eternally."
1 And I looked, and, lo, a Lamb stood on the mount Sion, and with him an hundred forty and four thousand, having his Father's name written in their foreheads.
Last Wednesday we discussed those who took the mark of the beast. We saw the power and the ability of the antichrist. But now we will see God's chosen. It is summed up in the number 144,000.
The amazing miracle is that these Jews were sealed in Revelation 7 between the sixth and seventh seal. Before 1/3 of the tress of the earth are burned up, 1/3 of the sea is turned to blood, 1/3 of all ships are destroyed, 1/3 of the fresh water will be polluted, and 1/3 of the light of the sun and moon is diminished.
The shows the preserving hand of God. Here he stands with these. They are sealed by a true seal. The seal of God.
Mt. Zion is a hill fortified by David from the Jebusites (2 Samuel 5:6-7,1Chronicles 11:4-8). He built a fortress and then a city around it. This is now called Jerusalem
2 And I heard a voice from heaven, as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of a great thunder: and I heard the voice of harpers harping with their harps:
many waters-volume of the sound great thunder-loudness harpers harping-sweetness
Great rejoicing over the protecting hand of God.
3 And they sung as it were a new song before the throne, and before the four beasts, and the elders: and no man could learn that song but the hundred and forty and four thousand, which were redeemed from the earth.
A spiritual song for the redeemed and only those who know of it and experienced it can understand
I don’t believe that these 144,000 are super human people. I believe they will endure persecution but not death. God will protect them. Whether or not it is physical persecution who knows.
Let me tell you something only you know the songs of your life. As you see some songs minister to people differently because you know what you have been through, you know how God has protected and delivered.
Redeemed from the earth” bought by the blood of Christ
4 These are they which were not defiled with women; for they are virgins. These are they which follow the Lamb whithersoever he goeth. These were redeemed from among men, being the firstfruits unto God and to the Lamb.
5 And in their mouth was found no guile: for they are without fault before the throne of God.
What do you think about the phrase "were not defiled with woman"?
1) separated from the world and the apostate church ("not defiled with women")
2) follower of Christ ("follow the Lamb whithersoever he goeth") it is more than just a literal following but it is an imitation
3) give of themselves to God and Christ-in constant fellowship ("whithersoever he goeth") abiding in his presence
4) they are the first chosen of the coming age ("the firstfruits unto God and to the Lamb") examples of the right relationship with God
4) Don't speak lies (in their mouth was found no guile), faithful and true
5) morally blameless ("they are without fault before the throne of God")-in a world that is full of falsehood and deception perpetrated by Satan and the Antichrist, these will keep themselves unblemished by avoiding all lying
6) also sexually pure and clean. In a perverse world of this day and age it seems to be so hard. For some adultery is justified and it will only get worse but these are pure.
7) kept them pure, “not defiled with women” may not even be married
8) bought with a price, the blood of Christ
6 And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people,
Angel preaches, Is this a literal angel? some say yes some say no.
The angel preaches what? the gospel which is the good news. There is not one who is left all but all is included. nation, kindred, tongue, people
But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed. (Galatians 1:8-9 AV)