Summary: In our survey of "The Minor Prophets" we now come to the first of three prophets who preached to Judah alone, following the downfall of the northern kingdom of Israel
"STUDIES IN THE MINOR PROPHETS"
Zephaniah - Through Judgment To Blessing (1:1-3:20)
1. In our survey of "The Minor Prophets" we now come to the first of
three prophets who preached to Judah alone, following the downfall
of the northern kingdom of Israel
2. The prophet is Zephaniah, whose name means "Jehovah Hides"
a. Concerning the MAN
1) King Hezekiah was his great-great-grandfather - Zeph 1:1
2) This has prompted some to call him "the royal prophet"
3) He was contemporary with Jeremiah, as were Nahum and Habakkuk
b. Concerning his MESSAGE
1) Zephaniah prophesied in the days of Josiah, king of Judah
a) Josiah ruled from 640-609 B.C.
b) He was a good king, a great reformer - 2Ch 34:1-3,29-33;
c) Josiah's reforms were short-lived, however, and the nation
soon apostasized after his death
2) Zephaniah proclaimed the coming "day of the Lord" - cf. Zeph 1:7,14-16
a) So vivid are his descriptions that George Adam Smith wrote:
"No hotter book lies in all the Old Testament."
b) And yet it ends on an encouraging note concerning the
-- Therefore its overall message is: "Through Judgment To
[As we get into the book, we note that it can be divided into three
sections. The first section encouraged the people to "look within"...]
I. GOD'S WRATH COMING UPON JUDAH
A. THE LORD IS BRINGING JUDGMENT!
1. The prophet announces a universal and all-consuming judgment
- Zeph 1:1-3
2. With special mention and attention given Judah - Zeph 1:4-6
B. THE "DAY OF THE LORD" IS AT HAND!
1. This "day" as it will affect Judah and Jerusalem - Zeph 1:7-13
a. Punishment upon the princes and king's children (note, the
king himself is not mentioned), and upon those who are full
of violence and deceit
b. There will wailing and mourning in the city of Jerusalem
c. The Lord will search out and punish the complacent
2. This great "day" described - Zeph 1:14-18
a. A day that is near and hastens quickly
b. A day of devastation, desolation, darkness, and distress
c. A day in which silver and gold cannot deliver one from the
C. AND SO - A CALL FOR THE NATION TO REPENT!
1. Before the day of the Lord's anger comes upon them - Zeph 2:1-2
2. To seek the Lord, to seek righteousness, to seek humility
- Zeph 2:3
[Having encouraged the people to "look within" and see the need for
their own repentance, Zephaniah now prompts the people to "look around"
II. GOD'S WRATH COMING UPON SURROUNDING NATIONS
A. GOD'S JUDGMENT ON NATIONS EAST AND WEST...
1. Philistia - Zeph 2:4-7
a. It's cities will be made desolate, the inhabitants
b. The land will be for the remnant of Judah, whose captivity
God will restore
2. Moab & Ammon - Zeph 2:8-11
a. They shall be like Sodom and Gomorrah
b. Because of their pride, and for their mocking reproach of
c. And God will one day be worshipped by people from all
B. GOD'S JUDGMENT ON NATIONS SOUTH AND NORTH...
1. Ethiopia will by slain by the sword - Zeph 2:12
2. Assyria with its capital Nineveh will become desolate - Zeph 2:13-15
C. AND SO - WOE TO JERUSALEM...