Summary: This is the 12th sermon in the series "The End". This sermon is about the two super witnesses.
Sunday Evening June 16, 2002 Bel Aire Baptist Church
Series: ¡§The End¡¨ [#12]
1. As we continue in our study, we need to realize that we are still in this parenthetical section before the Seventh Trumpet Judgment.
2. Tonight we will identify to super men and their duties given to them by God.
1. As we have discussed earlier, the Temple will be rebuilt. I believe that the Tribulation period will begin when the Antichrist signs the treaty with Israel. I also believe that part of the treaty will have to do with the rebuilding of the Temple and reinstatement of sacrificial law.
2. We know that the Temple will be in operation by the middle of the Tribulation because the Antichrist will proclaim from the Temple that he is god.
3. We have seen in our past studies that the plans are already being made to rebuild the Temple. The utensils for Temple worship are almost complete. There is a red heifer ready which is necessary. The priests are being trained.
4. By the way, all of this shows that the Jews still are awaiting the Messiah¡¦s return. The reason sacrificial law is being reinstated is because they still do not see that Jesus is the ultimate sacrifice for the sins of the world.
5. Notice that John is told to measure the Temple. This is showing that the Temple is very inadequate compared to the Temple the Solomon built that God gave instructions for.
The Two Witnesses
Who Are They?
1. In verse 3 we find two very dynamic men that are given power by God. This power is for the purpose of witnessing God¡¦s power in distinction to that of the Antichrist.
2. So who are these two witnesses? There have been many suggestions. Since we are not told here we do not know, but some good suggestions have been Elijah and Enoch, Elijah and John the Baptist, or Elijah and Moses. Why Elijah?
3. We also can learn that Elijah was the only one in the Old Testament to call down fire. Elijah also withheld rain from the earth for three years.
4. I believe that the best candidate for the second witness is Moses. Let me give you three reasons.
„« When Jesus was transfigured who were the two Old Testament people there? Moses and Elijah.
„« Also Moses manifested power to bring plagues on the earth and turn water into blood.
„« Moses is an integral part of Jewish family tradition.
5. These two men make good candidates for these two witnesses, but the main thing is not what they are but what they do.
What They Do
1. These two witnesses are likened to the two lamp stands and the two olive trees of the book of Zechariah. This symbolizes that these two will be proclaiming the faithfulness of God.
2. They will be on the scene in the first half of the Tribulation to counteract the lies of the Antichrist.
3. Verse 3 also says they will prophesy. They will be preaching of the things to come.
4. These two will be the preachers for God to the Holy Land.
5. Verse 7 shows us that they will also give testimony.
What Happens To Them
1. ¡§The beast that comes up from the Abyss¡¨ refers to the beast described in Revelation 13:1-7. The fact that the beast will come up out of the Abyss is a reference to the death and resurrection of the Antichrist.
2. The Antichrist will hate the two witnesses, make war against them, and kill them. Notice that this cannot happen until they have finished their work. This shows how God protects them while they fulfill His purpose.
3. Now the people on the earth are so worthless that they leave them in the streets of Jerusalem. The fact that Jerusalem is referred to as Sodom and Egypt shows how bad it is. Sodom symbolizes the materialism of the city. How will the whole earth be able to see this? Easy. With satellites, television can be seen all over the world. As people see this, it will be like Christmas. They will celebrating and sending one another gifts.
4. All of a sudden, these two come back to life and stand up. They are then resurrected as people watch in amazement.
5. At this point, there is a severe earthquake. A tenth of the city and 7,000 people will be destroyed. With this all happening, I believe many in the city will be saved. We can see this because they become terrified and give glory to God.
1. This brings us up to the Seventh Trumpet Judgment, which we will study next week.