Summary: God’s desire is that His church would walk in the Spirit, living the Spirit-filled life, and bearing the fruit of the Holy Spirit in our lives.
SUPER: NATURALLY! #1: ADD GOD’S SUPER TO YOUR NATURAL (Without Being Weird)
INTRO TO TOPIC: A LOOK AT SUPERMAN:
• Superman is one of my favourite superheroes. Comics, movies, TV shows.
• When I was a kid I wanted to be Superman. S on T-shirts and red capes. Why?
• Mild mannered reporter Clark Kent steps into a phone booth and comes out SUPER.
• He’s able to leap a tall building in a single bound, run faster than a speeding bullet.
• He’s the best super hero out there! But what makes him super? What’s on the inside!
INTRO TO THE HOLY SPIRIT:
• One day, Jesus made the most shocking statement to His disciples:
• “Nevertheless I tell you the truth. It is to your advantage that I go away…” (John 16:7a).
• Why would He say that? He healed broken hearts, forgave sinners, transformed lives!
• “…for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you.” (John 16:7b, NKJV). That Helper is the Holy Spirit.
ADD GOD’S SUPER TO YOUR NATURAL:
• “But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellence of the power may be of God and not of us.” (2 Cor. 4:7, NKJV). Earthen vessels = jars of clay!
• “But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.” (Acts 1:8).
• Notice Jesus said you would receive power, not become weird. Too much weirdness!
• Have you been in a church where someone prophesied: “Thus saith the Lawr-dah!”
• What kind of power? Power to be different. To be more loving, joyful, peaceful. To resist temptation and say no to sin and addictions. To pray and see miracles happen in others.
• To learn more about the Holy Spirit and the church, we’re going to turn to Acts:
THE BIG IDEA: God’s desire is that His church would walk in the Spirit, living the Spirit-filled life, and bearing the fruit of the Holy Spirit in our lives.
INTRO TO THE BOOK OF ACTS:
“1 The former account I made, O Theophilus, of all that Jesus began both to do and teach, 2 until the day in which He was taken up, after He through the Holy Spirit had given commandments to the apostles whom He had chosen, 3 to whom He also presented Himself alive after His suffering by many infallible proofs, being seen by them during forty days and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God. 4 And being assembled together with them, He commanded them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for the Promise of the Father, "which," He said, "you have heard from Me; 5 for John truly baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now.” (Acts 1:1-5, NKJV).
• Acts is the 5th book of the New Testament, and was written by the physician Luke.
• Read the insert “Introduction to the Book of Acts” bulletin insert for more info.