Summary: Tom Brady, who's a 4-time superbowl champion said, "God, it's got to be more than this. I mean this isn't what it's all cracked up to be.” Things don't satisfy! You need Jesus!
1. A small boy was sent to bed by his father. Five minutes later, he hollered, “Daaaad!” “What?” “I’m thirsty! Can you bring me a drink of water?” “No! You had your chance. Lights out.”
2. “Five Minutes later… “Daaaad!” “What?” “I’m thirsty! Can you bring me a drink of water?” “I told you ‘No!’ If you ask again I’ll have to spank you!”
3. Five minutes later… “Daaaaad!” “What?” “When you come to spank me, would you bring me a drink of water?”
4. Kids are cute. But this little boy isn’t the only person who’s thirsty for something.
B. TOM BRADY: A MODERN ENIGMA
1. FACTS ABOUT TOM BRADY
a. At 24, youngest QB in NFL history to win a championship.
b. At 30, he’d already won three Super Bowls.
c. He’s in the Top Five all-time in most passing categories (total yards, completions, touchdowns, et.al.)
d. Most playoff wins of any quarterback in history.
e. His wife Gisele Bundchen is worth more than $400 million (US) – not to mention his own personal worth of approx. $120 million.
f. Presidents invite him to their annual State of the Union addresses. The Pope invited him for a personal audience.
2. FOOTBALL IS HIS LIFE. IS HE HAPPY NOW? HAS HIS INCREDIBLE SUCCESS LEFT HIM EMPTY?
4. “Why do I have three Super Bowl rings and still think there's something greater out there for me? I mean, maybe a lot of people would say, ‘Hey man, this is what is.’ I reached my goal, my dream, my life. Me? I think, ‘God, it's got to be more than this.’ I mean this isn't, this can't be what it's all cracked up to be.”
Steve Kroft then asked him: “What's the answer?” “I wish I knew. I wish I knew.”
Steve Kroft asked, “What’s your favorite ring?” The next one is the best,” Brady says. None fulfilled his longing.
5. THINGS DON'T SATISFY! You can do great things, make lots of money, get streets and schools named after you, but in the final analysis, it's what you do for God that lasts!
6. We’re going to read about another person like Tom Brady who searched and found the answer.
5 So [Jesus] came to a town in Samaria called Sychar, near the plot of ground Jacob had given to his son Joseph. 6 Jacob’s well was there, and Jesus, tired as he was from the journey, sat down by the well. It was about noon. 7 When a Samaritan woman came to draw water, Jesus said to her, “Will you give me a drink?” 8 (His disciples had gone into the town to buy food.) 9 The Samaritan woman said to him, “You are a Jew and I am a Samaritan woman. How can you ask me for a drink?” (For Jews do not associate with Samaritans.) 10 Jesus answered her, “If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water.” 11 “Sir,” the woman said, “you have nothing to draw with and the well is deep. Where can you get this living water? 12 Are you greater than our father Jacob, who gave us the well and drank from it himself, as did also his sons and his livestock?” 13 Jesus answered, “Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, 14 but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life.” 15 The woman said to him, “Sir, give me this water so that I won’t get thirsty and have to keep coming here to draw water.” 16 He told her, “Go, call your husband and come back.” 17 “I have no husband,” she replied. Jesus said to her, “You are right when you say you have no husband. 18 The fact is, you have had five husbands, and the man you now have is not your husband. What you have just said is quite true.” 19 “Sir,” the woman said, “I can see that you are a prophet.” John 4:5-19.