Summary: The New Testament church, our blueprint, experienced MANY signs and wonders, which resulted in many people coming to faith in Jesus. Therefore, we need to contend for signs and wonders today!
SUPERNATURAL #2: HEALING THE SICK
REVIEW LAST WEEK: Intro to the Book of Acts:
• Acts is the 5th book of the New Testament, and was written by Doctor Luke.
• It chronicles the birth and growth of the Christian church.
• It is both a HISTORY (of what happened in the first century) and a BLUEPRINT (for what God wants to see happen in the church today).
THE BIG IDEA: The New Testament church – which is our blueprint – experienced MANY signs and wonders, which resulted in many people coming to faith in Jesus. Therefore, we need to contend for signs and wonders to be restored to the church today!
OPENING TEXT: Acts 3:1-10
“1 Now Peter and John went up together to the temple at the hour of prayer, the ninth hour.
• Why did the NT church see MANY signs and wonders? They PRAYED!
2 And a certain man lame from his mother’s womb was carried, whom they laid daily at the gate of the temple which is called Beautiful, to ask alms from those who entered the temple;
• We know from Acts 4:22 that this man had been sick for 40 years.
• It doesn’t matter how long you’ve been sick – God’s got a miracle for you TODAY!
3 who, seeing Peter and John about to go into the temple, asked for alms.
4 And fixing his eyes on him, with John, Peter said, "Look at us."
• If we’re going to be the glorious, powerful church Jesus has called us to be – we need to have eyes to see the hurting and broken around us!
• “Then Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every sickness and every disease among the people. But when He saw the multitudes, He was moved with compassion for them, because they were weary and scattered, like sheep having no shepherd. Then He said to His disciples, "The harvest truly is plentiful, but the laborers are few. Therefore pray the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest.” (Matt. 9:35-38).
5 So he gave them his attention, expecting to receive something from them.
• Why did this man receive a miracle from the Lord? He had FAITH and expectancy!
6 Then Peter said, "Silver and gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, rise up and walk."
• How was Peter able to minister to this man? He knew he had something!
• “And as you go, preach, saying, ’The kingdom of heaven is at hand.’ Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out demons. Freely you have received, freely give.” (Matt. 10:7-8).
• God has blessed us to be a blessing! How do we get power and boldness?
• “Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were uneducated and untrained men, they marveled. And they realized that they had been with Jesus.” (Acts 4:13). We need to come to Jesus, and go to the world!
7 And he took him by the right hand and lifted him up, and immediately his feet and ankle bones received strength. 8 So he, leaping up, stood and walked and entered the temple with them--walking, leaping, and praising God. 9 And all the people saw him walking and praising God. 10 Then they knew that it was he who sat begging alms at the Beautiful Gate of the temple; and they were filled with wonder and amazement at what had happened to him.” (Acts 3:1-10).